Three Gecko Eggs and some questions

GeckoGal94

My leo (Bartok) laid two batches of eggs, she was accidentally bred young so her clutches were less than normal and she's small. One batch is about 2 months old, the other about 1. They have been kept in a room between 78F (at the lowest) and 84F (at the highest). They are in a home made incubator that I thought worked well, but for some reason they haven't hatched yet, I'm having motherly anxiety over when they'll hatch! O.O This is my first time breeding where the eggs look halfway decent. The one eggs I think is dead, mold and an odd color, but I'm just keeping it seperate from the others. A couple of them are getting red/orange dots on them that wipe off with a piece of papertowel or a q-tip, any idea what that is?

Any help/info/advice is MORE THAN WElCOME,

Thanks,

GeckoGal

Josh2

Administrator
Staff member
3 Year Member
Hmm - I'm not exactly sure about what you're describing but maybe you could post a photo of the eggs?

GeckoGal94

The spots of red/orange on them are so small, I doubt u could see them via pic but I can try and I can also wipe it off on toweling and show a pic of that

GeckoGal94

Alright, I got the photos of the eggs, the setup, and the "gunk". They should be posted below, new to this site as well as the Ipad I am posting from LOL

GeckoGal94

Just talked to my Dad, who is a chemist and was studying to be a Vet at one point, he told me what the red spots might be. He said, at least in mammals, that it infects the lungs, he doesn't know about reptiles, plus they're still eggs. So, it may be harmless. I don't remember the name, it's HUGE!

LeoLover1

3 Year Member
Its probably still a mold. They come in lots of colors! Incubating leos at lower temps will produce females, but will take longer. I'd expect to wait at least the 2 months. I notice that the eggs will suddenly get larger in the last week or two before they hatch. Good luck! Let us know when they hatch!

Eve Saint

I really dont know anything about breeding or eggs but I thought maybe I would mention that you can buy an incubator for cheap if its used or something on the pet section of craigslist. Just an idea.

jenna

Good luck!! Hope they hatch. Is your female doing ok? I hear if they get breed to youg they can have problems.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
78 is a bit below the low end for leopard geckos. If the temperature has been swing from 78-84 inside the incubator, the chances of the eggs hatching are low, though stranger things have happened. At about 82-83 most of my leo eggs hatch in about 7-7 1/2 weeks. I think I've had eggs go as long as 9 weeks though. Think about getting or making a reliable incubator that will keep the temps between 80-88 with a max of 2 degree fluctuation. The standard cheap incubator is a hobovator, though by the time you get the proportional thermostat that you really need for it, you may as well get the Zoomed incubator which already has the proportional thermostat. Good luck with the eggs.

Aliza

Visit our friends