Unabsorbed yolk & cut egg

ShaksyGreen

Good day for everybody.
Yesterday I've got the first hatchling from one of clutches.
I was waiting for the second one to show up todays morning. Lately at night the previous day I've found some half clear "windows" on the egg.
Maybe I've panic, cause I've lost one of my little leos cause of waiting 1-2 more days after his sibling hatched off.
No matter - I've cut the egg & got a baby with a serious mass of yolk.
I put the leo in the separate box on a wet napkins and put it all by one side on the heater. There are small holes in the box.

Should I remove the yolk?
I'm leaving on the 6-th of June and my boyfriend will stay with all my zoo. Is it possible to recover this baby & start feeding him by this day?

CX2yoX06MGA.jpg

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Is this hatchling alive? It doesn't look like it in the picture. Some geckos hatch with the yolk sac attached. I just had one hatch like that. Put it in an enclosure and keep it well misted so it can be hydrated. The yolk sac will likely fall off in a day or so.

Aliza

DrCarrotTail

That looks like a really premature leo but it also could be deformed. Their eyelids and color are the last things to develop so my guess would be that it was taken out of the egg too soon. I would follow Aliza's advice on this one but in the future I would never cut into an egg unless you are sure it is dead. In my experience if the baby cannot hatch on its own there is usually a deformity or issue that will prevent it from thriving or sometimes even surviving and it is better to let nature take its course. I would also check your incubation setup for temperature fluctuation and check the moisture level of your substrate as I've found that these two things contribute to development issues the most.

Fingers crossed for your little guy! Let us know how he does!

stager

Keep it warm and wet. I never cut an egg for this reason looks real premature. But don't give up

Visit our friends