Urgent Crested gecko questions

NearMeGeckos

A few urgent questions...

Can I use organic potting soil? It does have kelp meel and chicken litter in it. Bought it about a year ago, you wouldn't think there would be any salmonella risk?? It would be covered by a small layer of cocofiber.

Is liquid aquarium fertalizer safe for the plants in the geckos terrarium?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
There won't be any salmonella risk that I know of. The soil may be heavier than reptile-specific mixtures. Since the crested gecko is pretty much arboreal, it won't be inhabiting the ground that much, though my oldest crested gecko does like to sleep in a ground level hide sometimes.
I don't think there's any need for liquid plant fertilizer. The gecko poop will do the job.

Aliza

NearMeGeckos

There won't be any salmonella risk that I know of. The soil may be heavier than reptile-specific mixtures. Since the crested gecko is pretty much arboreal, it won't be inhabiting the ground that much, though my oldest crested gecko does like to sleep in a ground level hide sometimes.
I don't think there's any need for liquid plant fertilizer. The gecko poop will do the job.

Aliza
Ok sounds good thank you. This is a baby, i think it's spending most of its time in the top. My friend bought a crested gecko a few months ago. I'm going over tomarrow and get her setup with live plants and some more decorations. Sex it for her too. I've had and bred leos for 6 years but despite doing a good bit of research have never had a cresty. I would have no problem using the substrate for my leopard geckos potted plants, but wanted to make sure it would be OK for cresties too. Don't want to kill her gecko or somthing lol.

I haven't seen her tank but I think pretty much all she has rn is eco earth, a food dish, and a coconut hide.

I have all the stuff to setup a drainage layer for her too. :)

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Great! Josh's frogs (joshsfrogs.com) sells a vivarium mix that doesn't need a drainage layer. I'm using it in a few of my enclosures and it works well.

Aliza

Visit our friends