Urgent: One leo is getting extremely skinnny

Kiara1125

Beardie Tamer
Well, I have betta tanks, so I know how to make a DIY mesh divider where they can't get in with each other. I just don't think having the UTH in the middle f the tank would be a good idea for a permanent leo setup.

mcwendle

I know 10gls are easy to come by, but ugh. Also, how can I make the UTH temporary? I ordered a Zoo Med, so it says to stick it (adhesive) to the bottom of the tank. How can I get around that when I have to put the rubber feet onto the tank to lift it up?
You can buy replacement picture frame glass. Stick it to that. Then place that where you want under the tank as long as the glass is touching the glass bottom of tank. Use the rubber feet on the pane of glass. Then find something to prop your tank up just enough to keep the cord from pinching and the glass touching.

Kiara1125

Beardie Tamer
I see, so I can just move it around as I please, yes? How would I go about attaching the picture frame glass to the bottom of the tank? I want to make sure that the heater does not touch my dresser. It's antique wood.

Kiara1125

Beardie Tamer
UPDATE

Viper is improving, but Echo is deteriorating. I don't know what to do anymore and I don't believe he has parasites because he's been with Viper for over a month now and she's getting fatter. I honestly don't believe it's parasites. But now, he's not eating. He refuses the phoenix worms (while Viper goes crazy over them) and he spends his day zooming around the tank. He is very active and adventurous, but I don't know what's wrong with him.

Here's them next to each other:
image_2.jpg

Here's Viper:
image_3.jpg

Here's Echo:
image_4.jpg

Kiara1125

Beardie Tamer
I know ... I just don't know what to do anymore. I'm so glad that Viper is improving, but I wish Echo would make some progress ...

Dinosaur!

Perhaps he does have parasites, but his body is too weak to fight it so they are sucking up all of the nutrients he eats. Viper may be stronger and able to fight them. Hopefully the parasite test will tell you if that is right, and if he does have parasites he might start gaining weight once the little hijackers are out!

Matt_pole

Perhaps he does have parasites, but his body is too weak to fight it so they are sucking up all of the nutrients he eats. Viper may be stronger and able to fight them. Hopefully the parasite test will tell you if that is right, and if he does have parasites he might start gaining weight once the little hijackers are out!
I sure hope you are right.

Kiara1125

Beardie Tamer
A sad update ...

Echo has pretty much given up. I bought some Oxbow Carnivore for him, but it will arrive on Thursday, so that's definitely not quick enough. I just hate that this happened. It's not like I could've taken him to the vet either. The nearest herp vet is 2 hours away, but I am currently dealing with my dog possibly having cancer. I don't know what to do anymore ...

Here's pictures of him while I was trying to give him some liquid vitamins and then he pooped on my hand. I'm sorry the pictures are sideways.
0825141855b.jpg
0825141855a.jpg
0825141857b.jpg

For him to go from this:
image_4.jpg

To this:
0825141855.jpg

In just 3 days is just ... ugh. :(

Last edited:

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I think he needs to be humanely put down. He has to be in pain. It hurts to look at him. :(

Kiara1125

Beardie Tamer
How can I euthanize him? I am used to freezing fish, so I can try to slowly freeze him. I'm unfamiliar with CO2 euthanasthia and I don't know if I can get the supplies for that.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
If you can manage, take him to a vet (doesn't have to be a reptile vet) and they will do it for you. I'm sorry you are having to go through this. In my 11 years of gecko keeping I have found that there are some geckos who just don't thrive and often die before their time. Of course, many people don't care for geckos properly, but some, even with the best care, just don't make it, either because of some undiagnosed condition, or because of their physical make-up. I hope things continue to go well with your other one.

Aliza

Kiara1125

Beardie Tamer
If you can manage, take him to a vet (doesn't have to be a reptile vet) and they will do it for you. I'm sorry you are having to go through this. In my 11 years of gecko keeping I have found that there are some geckos who just don't thrive and often die before their time. Of course, many people don't care for geckos properly, but some, even with the best care, just don't make it, either because of some undiagnosed condition, or because of their physical make-up. I hope things continue to go well with your other one.

Aliza

Unfortunately, the vets around here charge $25 for euthanasthia and it's hard for me to get that money right now. I'm probably going to freeze him and to end his suffering. As for Viper, she's still continuing to fatten up. I am glad to say that she's getting better. I just feel awful for Echo. :(

leopard love

Oh hun im so sorry for what your going through. I can tel u really cared nd did everything. Some leopard geckos just are not meant to live in this world. I would go back to the pet store nd tell them about what happen to watch out for theirs they have there

sausage

BSc AMAS
Im sorry that hes not responding, so sad. atleast you tried :(. But please do not put him in the freezer as its a very painful way to go. their bodies slowly freeze inside out, the water in the blood turns to crystals which causes a lot of pain. look into another method if you can't go to vets (which is the best, kindest way).

Kiara1125

Beardie Tamer
Im sorry that hes not responding, so sad. atleast you tried :(. But please do not put him in the freezer as its a very painful way to go. their bodies slowly freeze inside out, the water in the blood turns to crystals which causes a lot of pain. look into another method if you can't go to vets (which is the best, kindest way).

I was thinking about putting him in the fridge first so he slowly shuts down and then putting him in the freezer (after several hours in the fridge) overnight to make sure that he's gone. I don't have many other options available to me and it's really hard whenever people think that *every* way of euthanasia is inhumane except for if a vet does it. My problem is that I can't find a vet who will do it, let alone me being able to pay $25-35 for him to get euthanized.

Visit our friends