Ventilating an enclosure

JDC

Hello, i am new to this hobby and i have not yet got my gecko but im in the process of preparing the vivarium. I will be getting a Gargoyle Gecko and to my knowledge they must be kept at 20°-30°.

Im from Cyprus and our summer can be well above 40° during heat waves so im making surr that i create an enclosure that can easily cool down.

Sorry for the long introduction but my question is can i add a couple of fans on the tank to push air in from the bottom and out of the top or will this create problems with the humidity?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Do you think those fans are going to really make anything cooler or are they going to just move the hot air around? Do you have air conditioning? I live in northeast US with no air conditioning. It can reach 40C on occasion but not all summer. If you have air conditioning, it will be fine. If not, and it is 40 for the whole summer, it's possible that a gargoyle gecko isn't a good choice. If it only gets that hot on occasion, you can put an ice pack in the enclosure on those days, as I do.

Aliza

Reactions: JDC

JDC

Do you think those fans are going to really make anything cooler or are they going to just move the hot air around? Do you have air conditioning? I live in northeast US with no air conditioning. It can reach 40C on occasion but not all summer. If you have air conditioning, it will be fine. If not, and it is 40 for the whole summer, it's possible that a gargoyle gecko isn't a good choice. If it only gets that hot on occasion, you can put an ice pack in the enclosure on those days, as I do.

Aliza
Thank you very much for the advice, i use ac all the time during the summer but on average we get temps of 32-35. What do i do then?

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
With the AC on, is the temperature in the room your geckos will be in always 32-35 or is it cooler?

Aliza

JDC

Yes but i was thinking of alternatives to AC so that i dont have to pay a hefty electricity bill every 2 months :p

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I had assumed that you wanted the AC for yourself, not that you would run AC just for the gecko. It's possible that rotating cold packs would do the job. If there is a herp society where you are or any local crested gecko breeders that you know of, you may want to contact them and see what they do.

Aliza

JDC

I had assumed that you wanted the AC for yourself, not that you would run AC just for the gecko. It's possible that rotating cold packs would do the job. If there is a herp society where you are or any local crested gecko breeders that you know of, you may want to contact them and see what they do.

Aliza
Did not think of that, thank you :)

Visit our friends