What do you prefer - Shipping or No Shipping?

What do you prefer when looking at animal prices in classifieds or websites?

• I like shipping to be INCLUDED in the advertised price.

Votes: 53 50.5%
  • I prefer shipping to be SEPARATE from the advertised price.

Votes: 34 32.4%
  • I don't care.

Votes: 18 17.1%

• Total voters

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I'd rather do the math to add the shipping cost if the gecko isn't close to where I live than do the math to subtract the shipping if I can pick it up myself.

Aliza

bohannbj

REEF AND REPTILES
I like to see the close out price. I'm sorry but I have to ask. How come people charge $50 or more for shipping when I just shipped one out USPS for $21.40 plus around $10 in supplies. It seems that people are padding the costs a bit. I know USPS doesn't guarantee shipping times, but the FED and the UPS Truck don't cover your loss if the package is late.

I personally find USPS to be unreliable with shipment of packages. They always show up.. just sometimes days later.

FedEx, UPS etc. Next Day Air by earliest delivery time usually cost about $50 per shipment. Sometimes it costs more due to Remote Locations.

I prefer shipping price to be seperate from the animals price. When I buy animals over the internet.. I usually get more than one from the seller. So.. it would just be confusing if each animal was advertised with shipping included.

bohannbj

REEF AND REPTILES
I checked with USPS and shipping geckos is legal. They just don't want snakes and other large lizards. There is a laundry list of dont's, but leos are A-OK. I live in a small town, but they take care of me real well. When I sent one to my sister in law (nephew's hampster died) her USPS cut her in front of five people to give her "Sticky". UPS and Fed tend to throw their boxes around a bit more.
Just an opinion from a small town guy.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
How come people charge $50 or more for shipping when I just shipped one out USPS for $21.40 plus around $10 in supplies. It seems that people are padding the costs a bit.
I would NEVER ship a living animal through USPS, or buy an animal from someone who ships with them. They are totally unreliable, promise overnight delivery and can't get the package there overnight, and their tracking system is a joke. They put live animals in the regular cargo compartment of commercial planes where there is little oxygen and temperatures in sub-zero conditions flying at altitudes of 30,00 ft.

As far a padding costs, I charge a flat rate of $45, and most of us that ship through FedEx or UPS wind up eating about $10.00 with every shipment. If you don't believe me, I would like to invite ANY of you to go on the UPS website and calculate the cost of shipping a 11x9x6 box (dimensional weight of 4 lbs.) via Next Day Air to zip code 94531.

eyelids

Bells Rule!
I don't care either way...

EDIT: Yeah nobody is padding costs... It usually runs $54-55 for me through UPS...

Last edited:

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I know USPS doesn't guarantee shipping times, but the FED and the UPS Truck don't cover your loss if the package is late.
Not true. UPS and FedEx will reimburse shipping costs if they do not deliver at the time promised... unless there is an issue beyond their control. NONE of the shippers will guarantee live delivery of animals.
I prefer shipping price to be seperate from the animals price. When I buy animals over the internet.. I usually get more than one from the seller. So.. it would just be confusing if each animal was advertised with shipping included.
I agree. Also,, when someone quotes me $50 for a shipment for up to 4 geckos, I know I'm getting a deal!

Okee Reps

Okeechobee Reptiles
I personally like the shipping to be separate but I'm guessing your asking from a sellers point of view and so I'd have to say I get a lot more responses to ads when the shipping price is included. It could be mere coincidence however.

bohannbj

REEF AND REPTILES
Ok I think someone is a little upset with me. If I may give some personal experiences. First I have shipped more coral than geckos, but it costs me around $45 to ship 2 1/2 lbs (roughly) UPS or FED and the boxes arrived in terrible condition (shipped in fully contained styrofoam). This stuff is like a cooler you buy from wal-mart. The USPS shipment of seahorses were fine and the FED-Ex all died. I have also had 3 packages from UPS/DHL/FED arrive a day late. I called about the problem and they refunded the shippers money; not mine; even though it was really my money. As a seller I will ship whatever you want, but I will still offer USPS until they treat me like the others have. And with all do respect, because I here nothing but great stuff about your business, but how does the package weigh four pounds for a gecko.

bohannbj

REEF AND REPTILES
Ok I have to apologize for my husband, he gets a little heated when people insult his friends. You have to understand that we just shipped the second best hatchling we had this year to my nephew and USPS did an amazing job. They took care of us like they were related to us and to say you would never ship with them, or buy from anyone who ships from them, really hurt him. I'm sorry if USPS has been problematic for you in your town, but they are amazing in our town. Thanks Julie

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
to say you would never ship with them, or buy from anyone who ships from them, really hurt him.
I am sorry if feelings were hurt. The comment that shipping prices were being padded upset me, too. You must remember, I have been shipping geckos for over 10 years... and I would still never buy a gecko from someone who ships through USPS. Trust me on this. I totally realize that we are at any shippers mercy when we pack up and send our beloved geckos across the country, but there is a reason that most of us don't ship via USPS.

Last edited by a moderator:

moosassah

Are you able to list the price with the shipping cost next to it & an asterisk or pop up message to indicate the discount rate on multiple purchases? Seems like that would satisfy both ends of the spectrum.

I actually prefer the shipping to be separate. I've always listed that way too. But I've had some feedback on my site by a few people and they told me it's better to include shipping. I think including the shipping can be a real turn off on lower end animals. Not so much with big dollar animals though. I was just curious how others feel about this.

sschind

I voted I don't care. The cost of the gecko is the gecko price plus the shipping cost no matter how you slice it. If its $10.00 for the gecko and $90.00 to ship, $90.00 for the gecko and $10.00 to ship or $50.00/$50.00 it doesn't matter, the Gecko still cost me $100.00

I get people telling me all the time that they can buy their dry goods cheaper on line but they never factor in shipping. They will swear up and down that they are getting a better deal on a filter that they pay $5.99 and $10.00 shipping than paying me $9.99 for it.

Halley

I actually prefer the shipping to be separate. I've always listed that way too. But I've had some feedback on my site by a few people and they told me it's better to include shipping. I think including the shipping can be a real turn off on lower end animals. Not so much with big dollar animals though. I was just curious how others feel about this.

I think you may be right, for the most part. I would say if i was going to buy a low dollar animals. Let say a tremper for $25 i would think it would be better to have the shipping seprate. That way if i do buy 3 then i can add in the cost. I just woudln't pay $50 shipping for 1 $25. However if i buy a high dollar animal, lets say an animal that is worth $1,000 or more, i want the shipping for free. I probably woudn't even buy it if they wanted me to pay the extra money, i would fell robbed. I can't say it is a big deal to me either way though. sschind said,

I voted I don't care. The cost of the gecko is the gecko price plus the shipping cost no matter how you slice it. If its $10.00 for the gecko and $90.00 to ship, $90.00 for the gecko and $10.00 to ship or $50.00/$50.00 it doesn't matter, the Gecko still cost me $100.00

I get people telling me all the time that they can buy their dry goods cheaper on line but they never factor in shipping. They will swear up and down that they are getting a better deal on a filter that they pay $5.99 and $10.00 shipping than paying me $9.99 for it.

Ccrashca069

I like both ways. I look at the classified here and at KS alot. Sometimes its nice knowing how much upfront the total cost shipped. But I also like picking up local if I can so not having the shipping cost or have the shipping cost sepperate is a bonus as well. Maybe you should have with shipping cost and without shipping cost listed.

Visit our friends