What should go on a basic husbandry exam?

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
I wish more dog rescues would do that. I donated over 400 hours between 2 rescues last year to uneducated fosters that were propagating problems in their foster dogs. Good for you. Will you be including educaltional programs as well for those that don't quite meet muster to improve their skills?

Khrysty

Yeah. Originally it was geared toward those who enter their animals in the rehab program (with the intent of getting them back). I wanted to do "husbandry counseling" for them. But it could apply for potential fosters too. I haven't had to figure that out yet, though, because no one's done the rehab. I've gotten around six surrenders so far. Four of which, we got before we officially had the program. Of those four, three are remaining with us permanently and the fourth has been adopted. They passed the test the first time so we never worried about counseling. The other two surrenders are currently in the process of getting better.

If and when it comes down to it, though, I think it would really provide a service to the community. A lot of people sort of see these guys as throwaway pets and don't take the time to learn the general care. That's why they end up in this situation to begin with, usually.

Visit our friends