where does it come from

oceanoasis

no not baby geckos! ok If i cross a male patty with a female mack snow tremper, the formula site thingy says that i will get co-dominant snow het patty, tremper. this one i understand. but it also says that i will get normals het patty, tremper albino. this one i dont understand.
where does the mack snow trait go
where does the normal trait come from if both are recessive or codominant traits
why wouldnt i have a patternless albino
i have been trying to figure this out because technically both parents would have all recessive genes, no normal gene. right?

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
Well Mack Snow is so-dom so if used in a punnet square it would be Ss and since its Tremper it would be aaSs, and for the male, Patty is recessive so it would be pp and since its not albino it would be AApp. Crossing them would produce 50/50 AaSp (Normal), or Aasp (Mack), both het patty and Tremper. That website is kinda neat but the best way to do genetics is by learning punnet squares and understanding the genetics. To answer why you wouldn't have albinos is because only one of the parents is passing the trait. hence them all het for Tremper. Hope I helped you understand it and not just loose you.

Wandering Paddle

no not baby geckos! ok If i cross a male patty with a female mack snow tremper, the formula site thingy says that i will get co-dominant snow het patty, tremper. this one i understand. but it also says that i will get normals het patty, tremper albino. this one i dont understand.
where does the mack snow trait go
where does the normal trait come from if both are recessive or codominant traits
why wouldnt i have a patternless albino
i have been trying to figure this out because technically both parents would have all recessive genes, no normal gene. right?

You arent looking at this the right way at all.

Each chromosome in an organism is made of two alleles, one from each parent. If you have a mack snow it has one copy (allele) of the snow trait and one copy that isnt of the snow trait. This non-snow allele is the normal or wild type copy of that allele. When the alleles from each chromosome separate to make sex cells 50% will be the snow trait and 50% will not. Therefore 50% of the offspring will get the snow mutated allele and 50% will get the normal/wildtype non-mutated allele.

For the recessive traits like murphys patternless and tremper albinism an offspring has to have 2 alleles of the mutation to express it. Your male will always pass one copy of the patternless mutation, but your female only has non-mutated wildtype alleles to pass on in her eggs because she doesnt have the trait at all. The same goes for the tremper albino mutation, all of her eggs will carry the mutated allele for tremper albino , but none of your males sperm will have that mutation.

Therefore the outcome of the cross will be:
50% - mack snow heterozygous for tremper and patternless
50% - normal heterozygous for tremper and patternless

oceanoasis

ooooooo so mack snow is co-dom with normal! i thought it was co-dom with tremper. ok now it makes sense. i thought they were all recessive. deedadee. that helps a lot.
and ya i do know punnett squares, its just the genetics of the gecko morphs that i am new to. thanks everyone.

Wandering Paddle

ooooooo so mack snow is co-dom with normal! i thought it was co-dom with tremper. ok now it makes sense. i thought they were all recessive. deedadee. that helps a lot.
and ya i do know punnett squares, its just the genetics of the gecko morphs that i am new to. thanks everyone.

dont hesitate to ask more questions. I feel like you are probably still confused.

oceanoasis

not on this subject, at the moment anyway. like i said, i know genetics, it is my favorite part of science, i just dont know all the morphs and combos yet. i know i will have many more questions to rack your brains with.

Visit our friends