Which type of gecko?

rmwhite86

Hey all! Recently got a new gecko after falling in love with his colours/pattern, but I’m not sure what type he is. The shop owner said he was told it was from America/south America and was possibly a type of banded gecko but when I searched online mine wasn’t quite the same. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks richard

Attachments

• A850AD88-D334-49C1-BF62-DC65A39551D7.jpeg
    A850AD88-D334-49C1-BF62-DC65A39551D7.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 11EAF756-36DC-4D17-BE93-5867C5BE7E43.jpeg
    11EAF756-36DC-4D17-BE93-5867C5BE7E43.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It does seem to be shaped like a banded gecko. Do an image search for Coleonyx elegans and see what you think. I think the tail is regrown and may not look like the original tail, so pay more attention to the body of the ones you find in the images.

Aliza

rmwhite86

It is a northern velvet gecko (Oedura castelnaui) from Australia and I bet you made a pretty good deal on it.
Hey and thanks for the reply, after having a look online he does look a lot like the northern velvet gecko. And yeah I did get the poor little guy cheap. Can’t actually find any for sale atm after a quick little look. Are they very common over here or a little rare? Thanks richard

Gekkotan

I am not sure as I am not in USA. I think they are not rare but definately not that common. I think you can find them avaliable, but just if you find the breeders.

Hey and thanks for the reply, after having a look online he does look a lot like the northern velvet gecko. And yeah I did get the poor little guy cheap. Can’t actually find any for sale atm after a quick little look. Are they very common over here or a little rare? Thanks richard

Visit our friends