Who owns a Canon 40D?

sushikam

~Louisiana Leos~
Ok, so I REALLY want a 40D!!! I currently own a Rebel XTi, and it is a great camera, but I've heard nothing but rave reviews for the 40D. Of course a 5D or 1D would always be nice, but just a wee bit pricey for my affordability right now :main_yes:! So I need some input here.

I am hoping to sell my Rebel and purchase a used 40D, just because I can't afford a new one, and have no need to have two cameras at once. I've searched and searched, and it looks like after I sell my Rebel I would have to come up with approx. $300 to purchase a 40D.

My point of this thread is not to try and get a buyer or seller, I just want to know, is doing this worth it? Should I go for the 40D and spend the money, or not? All of you who own this camera, and have possibly owned a Rebel, what did you think of the switch? Is it worth the extra money?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
It's worth it! I used to have the original Rebel and comparing it to my 40D is apples to oranges. I got a good deal on mine off eBay. I think it was just over $1000 with the lens and it was worth every penny.

sushikam

~Louisiana Leos~
Thanks Mel for the input! I REALLY want it still, regardless of whether I got any input here :D!! I'm just searching for one right now, I keep finding some pretty good deals, but I'm searching for the best deal. And since I'm only getting the body, it will be much cheaper...I wish I could have it now!

N

Nubster

Check http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10 and www.keh.com for good deals on used gear. Also check out some Canon specific site in the FS sections. I bought my Nikon D200 off a Nikon site and got a GREAT deal at the time for a nearly new camera. It really pays off to buy used in the photography hobby as long as you get from a reputable seller.

Just checked, KEH has a body for $725 right now in EX condition (not sure if that is a good price or not, I know nothing about Canon). Just FYI, KEH is very conservative in their grading so you are likely to get something that is a lot nicer than your expecting when you order from them. That is just my experience buying from them.

Last edited by a moderator:

sushikam

~Louisiana Leos~
Check http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/10 and www.keh.com for good deals on used gear. Also check out some Canon specific site in the FS sections. I bought my Nikon D200 off a Nikon site and got a GREAT deal at the time for a nearly new camera. It really pays off to buy used in the photography hobby as long as you get from a reputable seller.

Just checked, KEH has a body for $725 right now in EX condition (not sure if that is a good price or not, I know nothing about Canon). Just FYI, KEH is very conservative in their grading so you are likely to get something that is a lot nicer than your expecting when you order from them. That is just my experience buying from them.

Thanks Chad! I actually just purchased one last night from POTN for $650 that includes an extra battery, a 4GB card, and a grid style focusing screen, and then of course everything that came with it originally! So I am stoked and can't wait to get it! It does have a small scratch on it, but with only 15k actuations, I'm pretty content about the price regardless of that little scratch.

I had been searching on fredmiranda for a while and wasn't seeing too many at a price I was willing to pay ($650 was the price I wanted). I kept seeing them for about $725 and then for some sellers that did not include shipping and the paypal fees associated. Though I did come across one that was flawless and I could have had it for $715 shipped if I sent with echeck...but I am happy getting the one I got for a bit cheaper and with some extras thrown in. I mean, it's supposed to have a shutter life of 100,000, so I think I got a good one.

Cannot wait to get it!!!! :D:D:D

Now I need to sell my Rebel XTi! And now I keep finding myself wanting to purchase a new lens (the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS to be exact ;))! But I can't, I just purchased a 70-200mm f/4 L Lens and can't wait to use it on my new camera! Ugh, I'm becoming too obsessed!! What's up with these expensive hobbies?!

sushikam

~Louisiana Leos~
Sweet! You're going to love it. I can't wait to see you post some pics. :)

I'm going out to test it out with my also newly purchased used (but practically brand new) lens!! It's a Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 - cannot wait to go take some sunset pictures tonight!

If I get anything good I'll be posting :).

Visit our friends