Will this terrarium suit a gecko?

HawkEagle

Hello everyone!
I am new to lizards and am considering buying a leopard gecko this year. Of course, I am researching everything and so far they seem like great pets. I read leopard geckos do not climb much and prefer wider/longer terrariums. Do you think this will be good?

Vivexotic Repti-Home Vivarium - Medium Oak

Also, do you think pebbles/gravel will be a good substrate? I do not seem to find much information on this.
Thank you!

michael.a.wyton

I have a 4ft x 2ft x 2 ft with 4 leopard geckos. Reptile carpet with paper towel for the area they use for the washroom.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Neon Aurora

That terrarium looks fine to me.

I don't think gravel or pebbles would make a good substrate. They require belly heat and I don't see that substrate working well to to conduct heat. If the pebbles are small enough, you run the risk of them being swallowed. I would recommend something more solid, such as slate tile or excavator clay.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I had an enclosure with a small, shallow dish with pebbles that I had in there mostly because one of the geckos liked to dig a bit. One of the geckos ended up with a broken jaw (which healed without problems) and the only way I can figure she could have done it was by trying to chew up one of those pebbles. Needless to say they are not in the cage anymore.

Aliza