Yayy!! I'm collecting my new leo today!!

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
It's not an abstract theory, it's a fact that it IS possible, so why dispel it like it could never happen. The chances of a faulty fixture that is drawing more power than it aught to is not completely unheard of so I was meerly correcting your misstatement and justifying why a thermometer is a good idea. BUT if you can never be wrong then great... but it would not take major a spike to produce the 5 watts more to maximum output of the bulb before the filament burnt out. I'm not talking volts, electricity is a current... subject to ebb and flow just like any other current.

Jordan

i think with anything that can give off heat id rather just have a thermostat... you know just for safety. when were dealing with lives health and safety is the most important part. So that slight chance of overheating, why not make the chance even smaller with a thermostat eh? .. for the safety of the geckos.

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
All lamps give off heat, and they are better because of that. (Leopard Geckos require heat.)

37 Celsius is a perfect temperature for the hottest spot in the enclosure, as long as a gradient exists.
I can't see how a thermal gradient can be created with a red bulb in a squarish enclosed space. Its way too hot if the air temp inside the whole enclosure is constant at 37C.

You only need a thermostat if your heat sources have to capability of creating a dangerous temperature.
If her UTH is not capable of heating to a higher temp; then that means either the UTH is too small, or heat is lost somewhere.

You should check the temp frequently, but what good is a thermometer constantly testing the temperature, unless you are always there to monitor it? As soon as you stop looking at the reading, it becomes useless.
So do you mean we're better off using an infrared temp gun or something to probe the temp everytime we walk pass the gecko's tank than just reading off a digital thermometer?

Heat lamps are a better source of heat than a heat mat. The problem is they are much harder to properly set up than a heat mat.Umm...how contradicting. So heat lamps are better than UTH in creating a proper thermal gradient for the gecko...if you can get it to work.

To the OP, your new enclosure looks great. I have no problem with sand; just make sure you have the appropriate temperature range: a warm area at approxiately 32-35C; room temperature of mid 20s. Having the whole enclosure constant at 37C is too hot for the gecko, you can switch for a lower voltage bulb. It will be easier if you use the UTH to provide heat 24/7, then use the light for viewing or increasing air temp when it gets too cold. Just my 2c, but what do I know. :main_rolleyes:

GothicGurrrl

To the OP, your new enclosure looks great. I have no problem with sand; just make sure you have the appropriate temperature range: a warm area at approxiately 32-35C; room temperature of mid 20s. Having the whole enclosure constant at 37C is too hot for the gecko, you can switch for a lower voltage bulb. It will be easier if you use the UTH to provide heat 24/7, then use the light for viewing or increasing air temp when it gets too cold. Just my 2c, but what do I know. :main_rolleyes:

Thankyou :D :D
.. I know this is a weird question, but what does leo poop look like? I've been cleaning and theres huge pellets. and I'm worried :S
I've decided to just use the UTH now.. It's on all the time. It's set at about 34/35C on the thermostat.. soo it will turn off if it's too hot. I use a UV light during the day.. at the lower wattage then other reptiles because I've been told by work that all reptiles still need one. She has always had one so I didn't want to change her routine and confuse her.

GothicGurrrl

woooo :D everyone's debating lol .. haha i think i've started a UTH vs Heat Bulb war :D .. Personally, I love heat bulbs. They warm the substrate well. But the 'habistat' thermostats for bulbs are £50, whereas the ones for mats are £30. And for the safety of my leo I have decided to remove my red bulb until I can properly control it.. and I'm using a UTH and a mat stat :D

Skydiver Keith

woooo :D everyone's debating lol .. haha i think i've started a UTH vs Heat Bulb war :D .. Personally, I love heat bulbs. They warm the substrate well. But the 'habistat' thermostats for bulbs are £50, whereas the ones for mats are £30. And for the safety of my leo I have decided to remove my red bulb until I can properly control it.. and I'm using a UTH and a mat stat :D

Good call. Sounds like you've got it under control. I don't use a heat lamp either, although I do play devil's advocate for them, lol...

GothicGurrrl

thankyou :) I know this is completely off subject but can you tell me what leo poop is supposed to look like? Because over the last 2 days, I've found large pellets about 2cm long?

Dog Shrink

Lost in the Lizard World
They do look like twisted lil rat poops sometimes with a white cap (urate). They're not really large but I guess pellet would be a proper description. I'll see if I can get a pic for ya.

Ok here's what I found... I'm not sure what the white things are sperm plug maybe... but the brown thing behind it is def. poop:

IMG_1156.JPG

Last edited:

GothicGurrrl

haha :D lovely pic lol
thanks.. I'm not that worried about the poop now. Like I said, I found about 2cm long pellet in my gecko tank.. I crushed it and it had the urinate white bit inside. It was covered in sand but it probs just stuck to it lol

Visit our friends