Votes: 13 6.6%
  • Roaches

Votes: 34 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters

MSMD

Lake Effect Leos
The more varied the diet, the better. Most Leos love waxies, but they're best as an occassional treat only. I feed a staple diet of mainly Supers and Mealies. They get the occassional waxie and my breeding/laying females get the occassional pinky if they're losing more weight than I'm comfortable with. I have used Pheonix worms when Kreacher was little (I got some from the out-of-town petstore that I adopted her from). She ate them just fine. I can't stand crickets, as they are smelly and loud. I am looking into starting up a Dubia colony, though. Everything I've read indicates they do quite well on them and I'm up for varying their diet as much as I can! :yes:

K

keepzrollin

The more varied the diet, the better. Most Leos love waxies, but they're best as an occassional treat only. I feed a staple diet of mainly Supers and Mealies. They get the occassional waxie and my breeding/laying females get the occassional pinky if they're losing more weight than I'm comfortable with. I have used Pheonix worms when Kreacher was little (I got some from the out-of-town petstore that I adopted her from). She ate them just fine. I can't stand crickets, as they are smelly and loud. I am looking into starting up a Dubia colony, though. Everything I've read indicates they do quite well on them and I'm up for varying their diet as much as I can! :yes:

Yea thats pretty much what i was going to do is have a few different type of worms just wanted to see which ones geckos like the most. I cant stand crickets either and roaches I might pass on that too.. lol im not to much of a roach person.

Tanga

The geckos I have in my collection now won't touch superworms or mealies but they go nuts for crickets. Maaaan, I HATE crickets! To give them variety besides just eating a staple of crickets I give them each 5 waxworms per week, I don't think they're as addictive as some people make them out to be, waxworms are nutritious and give skinny geckos and hatchlings a head start on growth.

MSMD

Lake Effect Leos
Oh, poor Lani! I think your geckos have come together against you! Yucky crickets! lol I agree about the waxies. I generally only use them as an occassional treat, but like you said, I do feed them a little more often to babies and geckos that could stand to gain a little weight. :yes:

Kellyr

They all feed primarily on mealies but prefer other things to them. Some love waxworms more, some like crickets better - I would say 65% ww and 35% crix. Phoenix worms are expensive and none of mine ate even one. Butterworms a few girls ate - 3 of 20 geckos. Lastly only 5 or so geckos ate superworms, but many of them ate about 2 the first time - then wouldn't touch them again. But when I feed them its mainly mealworms ( everyday or every other depending on the gecko) - crickets once a week and waxworms every two or three weeks.

Last edited:
K

keepzrollin

They all feed primarily on mealies but prefer other things to them. Some love waxworms more, some like crickets better - I would say 65% ww and 35% crix. Phoenix worms are expensive and none of mine ate even one. Butterworms a few girls ate - 3 of 20 geckos. Lastly only 5 or so geckos ate superworms, but many of them ate about 2 the first time - then wouldn't touch them again. But when I feed them its mainly mealworms ( everyday or every other depending on the gecko) - crickets once a week and waxworms every two or three weeks.

So far I have tried Mealworms, Superworms, Waxworms, and crickets.
I only got 3 geckos and 1 I got today !
One of mines loves crickets, eats mealworms sometimes and tried a superworm once and after that hasnt had another just like some of yours.
Then my other one likes meal, super and crickets and didnt even try a waxworm. And the one I got today ate 2 crickets and a superworm.
So I guess best bet is just to have some of all kinds of feeders.

P

pipedream

I use phoenix worms as mine all love them. One of our males ate one and then ignored them for over a week but now nearly rips them out of the tweezers when I feed. They and our cresties love them. Of course the leos also get crickets and mealworms. I HATE crickets though. I can not tell you how many we have chased around the house. My daughter and dog of course thinks its amazing, lol.

A note on the phoenix worms... if they are medium size and squirm a lot they go after them. My trick is this... hehehe I'm evil. Put the phoenix worm cup over a heat lamp for five minutes to really get the to squirm and then feed :)

K

keepzrollin

I was looking for a online store to buy feeders and found this one, has anyone used them before. Grubco

Saphira

we started with crickets and moved to mealies... mealies are much cheaper than crickets and they don't seem to need as much care as the crickets do. We wasted a lot of crickets and they do stink.

K

keepzrollin

I've heard good things about them but can't figure out a way to freaking make a new account..

I found out you have to call to make an account. I still havent used them but do seem to have good prices.

L

LazyAndi

My Andi eats mostly Mealies, and a couple crickets every few days as a treat. I just keep the crickets in a smaller tank in the garage so I don't have to hear or smell them.
He doesn't seem to like the wax worms to much though... He walks away from it if I leave one in front of him as I usually do when I'm picking out Mealies. If I leave one in his food dish with some Mealies then he'll usually eat it.
I hadn't even heard of Butterworms or phoenix worms yet XD
Guess I should look around for those now.

LizMarie

Well I've now bought in roaches which are in the settling/trying to breed phase so i don't mess with them much. Only take out like 2 every other day to feed my girl since I have so many. Was feeding mealies up until recently but decided to phase them out since I noticed I was getting all itchy and started sneezing when I had a lot of them (100s) so I decided to phase them out and replace them with supers for the moment. Day one seemed to work but I still plan on getting some silks and hornworms when I get some more money and depending on how these supers work out.

Like I said before; from everything I've heard about Roaches they seem to be the best choice as your "base" feeder but I still think its a good idea to get a different feeder once in a blue to keep things interesting. Plus its great to see them eat a new worm and how excited they get once they eat it, lol

Spots

My leo eats crickets mainly. I don't seem to have a problem with them. They do smell a bit but I buy enough for 2 weeks at a time and then clean the cricket keeper every other week so it's not too bad. My crickets make no noise at all....I first kept them in my room and they didn't make a sound.... and price wise, they are only 10 cents each so not bad either.

Question though, are mealworms hard to digest though? I've heard that they were, but everyone on this forum seems to use them alot. Noone has problems with it? Sometimes when I feed Spots mealworms, and the next day when she goes and does her business, it's almost as if she doesn't even breakdown the mealie and comes out almost whole...

Saphira

I have never had any problems with mealies. I read that Leo's mainly fed worms live longer....than those fed on crickets... Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

K

keepzrollin

I have never had any problems with mealies. I read that Leo's mainly fed worms live longer....than those fed on crickets... Anyone know if there is any truth to that?

Ive never read that one before, anyone know ??

Saphira

I think I read that in the our Leo book.. "The Leopard Gecko Manual" by Philippe de Vosjoli w/Roger Klingenberg, Ron Tremper, and Brian Viets.

Visit our friends