Votes: 34 17.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters
F

Fyrious

same as everyone else pretty much.

mealworms as main diet.
mixed with a variety of Wax and butter worms every couple weeks.

i started with crickets, but i hate them, you have to keep them in a larger "storage" container, you have to make sure what ever your using for food is fresh, no water dishes cause crickets are retarded and drown/commit suicide. And no matter what, you will get escapees, little buggers. Not very often, maybe once every couple weeks or so you'll find one running around.

Only reason i still have crickets is because the little guys will only eat crickets, ie. Anole, grass lizard, tree frog, firebtoad.

anyway, ya, just mix up the worms from time to time, but stick with mealworms as your main source. I keep mine in a "coolwhip" container, couple holes in the top, and filed half way with rolled oats mixed with calcium powder and a couple baby carrots, keep an eye on the carrots though, they can cause the oats to go moldy. I've heard of people using crushed up dogfood/cat food also to feed to mealworms, or also adding cornmeal to the oat mix.

anyway, theres a variety of things you can feed mealworms, but oats is pretty standard as the main "bedding" if you want to call it that.

millworkman

The first one I ever had loved anything that moved. meales and superworms went down with ease but he would pick a cricket first if they were both in front of him. the next four were partial to crickets but if they were not fed for a day then they would eat mealies and supers. This new one I have refuses to eat mealies at all. He watches them wiggle around in front of him and then just walks away. He would rather not eat for 4 days(that is as long as I could stand it) than eat a mealworm.

happy gecko

I read that too about geckos living longer if fed mealies (have that book). I also read in The Herpetoculture of Leopard Geckos that Ron Tremper feeds his geckos exclusivley mealies.

Jayme

I'd love to feed my gecko exclusively mealies or supers, but he gets bored very easily. So I pretty much feed him everything but roaches, butters, and waxworms regularly. Though I might pick up some waxes soon for treats and to help him gain some weight.

I voted 'other' because my gecko absolutely LOVES goliath worms. Hornworms. Tomato worms. Whatever you wanna call it, same thing. Those big, juicy green things with a horn sticking out of their butt. He practically pounces on them, where as other foods he'll just casually slurp down.

I'd like to try roaches but my mother won't allow them in the house. But once I've got my own apartment or something, one of the first things I'm going to do is acquire some roaches!

I'd also like to feed my gecko phoenix worms, but he vehemently refuses. I set the worm in front of him, and it's writhing caught his attention, but he spat it out immediately. Then he stuck his butt in the air and started tail wagging with his belly and chin flat on the ground. When I persisted he attacked me. XD

M

mel1

i think that phoenix worms are the same as super worms just that people call them diffrent ie phoenix worm super worm big mealys

JordanAng420

i think that phoenix worms are the same as super worms just that people call them diffrent ie phoenix worm super worm big mealys

Superworms are known as Zophobas morio; a species of darkling beetle, whereas Phoenix worms The larvae of Hermetia illucens, are commonly known as the Black Soldier Fly. They're two totally different species....

K

keepzrollin

I had tried wax worms one time and they didnt eat them. And now after a few months I tried wax worms again and all 3 of my adults ate like 5 each. And its been 2 days and they havent payed attention to superworms which they were eating on daily basis.

Do they really get addicted to waxworms?

STUTFL

Many animals have a "junk food," in that it's so tasty it makes them overeat and/or go off their regular rations for a while ... lots of cats go wild for tuna, horses chow down on grain, silkworms apparently don't like going back to silkie chow after eating real mulberry leaves.

Though only two days off food after a big meal isn't long at all in leo time. :D

Just got silkworms for my little guy. He ate three, I don't think he's quite sure what to make of them yet. He seemed very thoughtful while he was swallowing them. Definitely a better reaction than he had to the Phoenix worms though - whew, were they a waste of cash!

LeopardGeckoNinja

Sorry this is slightly off topic, but has anyone heard of hoppers? These bright green locust type things. There pretty expensive but my geckos love em. They only last a few days, and have similar care to crickets. However relating to there name, they can hop, and really far. Pretty entertaining if you wanna watch your leo chase after these things.

Oh and I tend to use mealworms, with the odd waxworm for a pretty staple diet.

STUTFL

Grasshoppers, you mean? Can't have 'em (or locusts) here in the states, what with them being crop pests or whatever. :( They look like a pretty interesting feeder though.

cinderbirdswing

sticky toes
I breed dubias and supply mealworms to my geckos as well. Some also get waxworms as a treat 2x a month or so. I get the best feeding responce from the Dubias though. My animals have grown very well on them. As long as the meals are moving around they'll get eaten too.

contracteryin

Shakawkawkaw
On a worm diet.. Is it better to feed leopard geckos daily? or every other day? or can you have a small dish with a few worms in there constantly?

Personally, I feed them daily [usually by hand, or by placing the mealworms near them so they see it]. Other's leave a small dish with mealworms or some other worm in it for their leos and refill it every day or every other day+. As far as how deep, that would depend on the size of the worms, the number of worms, and the size of your gecko.

alliegex

I'm relatively new to keeping leopard geckos, but, in the short time that I've owned them, I have developed a strong disposition to using mealworms. However, I am always interested in what is best for the animals under my care. And, this thread has been interesting...

When I brought my first geckos home, I was certain that I'd feed crickets exclusively. I work right next to the pet store and it's easy to pick some up on the way home. But, that lasted all of 3 days. I despise crickets. They're gross, they smell, and they're noisy. They also have a tendency to escape. And, I'd always have to be vigilant about removing them if not eaten immediately as I wouldn't want my geckos to become the cricket's midnight snack. So, it wasn't long before I switched over to mealies. I am not a bug person and am disgusted by insects as a whole - I need something that I can buy and keep...no breeding bugs for me. The mealworms keep well and my geckos seem to enjoy them. That, in and of itself, makes them worth their weight in gold. It's what works for me, but, I think, everyone has different preferences. And, so do their geckos, for that matter!

I am going to be picking up some waxworms this week. I know that they can be addictive and are high in fat, but I think they'll be worth it for an occasional treat - especially since my little ones have a ways to grow. I'm also interested in trying out superworms, but I think my babies are much too young. Dubias are never going to happen here, but I think they're a great option for those that can handle them. I'm just not one of them. I've not heard of phoenix worms, but I have heard of butters. Maybe I'll attempt them in the future, but, for now, mealies it is. And, maybe waxworms as a treat. Who knows, I could even throw in a cricket or two for good measure - I just can't do crickets all the time (and, with articles I've read recently, crickets are not necessarily the way to go as they have issues all their own).

I think I'll always be willing to try something new for my gecks. Maybe not dubias, but I'm definitely interested in feeding worms. I do think variety is important, but everyone is eating and growing right now. And, that's enough for me...

5HiddenLizards

Tight Budget Herping
I'm relatively new to keeping leopard geckos, but, in the short time that I've owned them, I have developed a strong disposition to using mealworms. However, I am always interested in what is best for the animals under my care. And, this thread has been interesting...

When I brought my first geckos home, I was certain that I'd feed crickets exclusively. I work right next to the pet store and it's easy to pick some up on the way home. But, that lasted all of 3 days. I despise crickets. They're gross, they smell, and they're noisy. They also have a tendency to escape. And, I'd always have to be vigilant about removing them if not eaten immediately as I wouldn't want my geckos to become the cricket's midnight snack. So, it wasn't long before I switched over to mealies. I am not a bug person and am disgusted by insects as a whole - I need something that I can buy and keep...no breeding bugs for me. The mealworms keep well and my geckos seem to enjoy them. That, in and of itself, makes them worth their weight in gold. It's what works for me, but, I think, everyone has different preferences. And, so do their geckos, for that matter!

I am going to be picking up some waxworms this week. I know that they can be addictive and are high in fat, but I think they'll be worth it for an occasional treat - especially since my little ones have a ways to grow. I'm also interested in trying out superworms, but I think my babies are much too young. Dubias are never going to happen here, but I think they're a great option for those that can handle them. I'm just not one of them. I've not heard of phoenix worms, but I have heard of butters. Maybe I'll attempt them in the future, but, for now, mealies it is. And, maybe waxworms as a treat. Who knows, I could even throw in a cricket or two for good measure - I just can't do crickets all the time (and, with articles I've read recently, crickets are not necessarily the way to go as they have issues all their own).

I think I'll always be willing to try something new for my gecks. Maybe not dubias, but I'm definitely interested in feeding worms. I do think variety is important, but everyone is eating and growing right now. And, that's enough for me...

I hate roaches, but starting a breeding colony has helped so much in feeding my group. Mealworms are also very easy to keep & breed and are pretty good at staying alive, even with temperature drops. They both take time to start & establish a good sized colony that you can feed off of, without having to keep buying more feeders, but in the end they are both worth it. Plus we have saved lots of money not having to buy feeders all the time. I even enjoy watching the roaches go about their activities. They are quite interesting.

~via Tapatalk~

Jusselin

personally i dont like using meal worms or crickets, i use silk worms...to me the exo-skeleton on the mealies and crickets are tough to digest sometimes....i guess its like us eating the shell on our shrimp, i feel like they like their shrimp peeled lol

solomonslayer

My guy decided he wanted to boycott mealies and he didn't seem too into crickets so I got him phoenix worms and he really enjoys those which is good cause they're high in calcium!

Visit our friends