A very unique problem.

mmsi1002

Future home-EubMac Geckos
One of my leos who i've had for a while now, suddenly refuses to uses his humid hide & will not let me remove the shed skin from his feet, he bites HARD!!! The only thing i can think of is to empty his tank & spray down the paper towel so he walks around in moisture for a bit, but i don't want him to develope a respiratory problem from the humidity. What would you guys do?

GeckoJunkie

Junkie
If I have one that has problems with shedding, I put a small shoe box on my rack with about a half inch of water in it at room temperture. I put the gecko in there for just a little while ( keeping an eye on it) When I take it out the old shed pretty much falls off.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
We have a couple that occasionally have some shedding problems and I just spray the paper towels in the bottom of their tubs. We've never had any respiratory problems. Our humidity here is almost always 60% or above so maybe they're used to it. lol

D

DLS Reptile

Diddo to what Thomas said. You can soak them in just enough luke warm water to cover the bottom of the tub quarter inch. you can also put a teaspoon of peroxide in the water to help... This will also help clear any starting infections. The small amount of peroxide helps aid the shedding process. I used this with a gecko that escaped from its cage for 5 months. The geckos had around 4 layers of stuck skin on the toes.. within a day it removed all the skin and i havent had any further problems...:)

dprince

Mod Squad Member
I do something similar to what Thomas does. I put the gecko in a deli cup with a smidge of room temp water for about 10-15 minutes, then I can peel away. Since he's a biter, you may have to have someone help you out.

ataber

agree with the rest of them. i put them in a container with enough water to cover their feet and leave them in 10-15 min supervised of course and then the shed pulls right off if it didnt already fall off in the water.

Franks_Geckos

Leopard Gecko Addict
Mike,
do what others have said regarding soaking and wet paper towels... The short term high humidity isn't going to cause respiratory issues..... oh... and wear thick gloves so it doesn't tear skin off of your fingers while you are trying to remove the skin from his.....lol... I told you they can bite hard when they want to. I still have a little scar on my right index finger in the shape of a Leo mouth :)

Visit our friends