Aquarium for leopard geckos?

madisondouglas

I have a 20-gallon aquarium, originally going to be used for a community fish tank (of course), but then I decided I wanted a leopard gecko. It doesn't open in the front; it has a top that opens half-way with a light attached to it (pics attached). I already have everything I need (decorations, vitamins, food/water bowls, hides, etc...).

I am new to the reptile world! I have done lots of research & watched a bunch of YT videos... but I haven't been able to find anything on whether aquariums can - or should - be used. Front-opening cages are very expensive, at least from what I have found, and I'd rather not spend any more money!

Thank you to anyone who answers :)

Attachments

• IMG_2006.jpeg
    IMG_2006.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2009.jpeg
    IMG_2009.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 9

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Many people use aquariums for leopard geckos. For better ventilation, I recommend you replace the cover with a screen mesh that you should be able to get at a petstore for not too much and possibly on craigslist for even less.

Aliza

AcidJuggalo

I have a 20-gallon aquarium, originally going to be used for a community fish tank (of course), but then I decided I wanted a leopard gecko. It doesn't open in the front; it has a top that opens half-way with a light attached to it (pics attached). I already have everything I need (decorations, vitamins, food/water bowls, hides, etc...).

I am new to the reptile world! I have done lots of research & watched a bunch of YT videos... but I haven't been able to find anything on whether aquariums can - or should - be used. Front-opening cages are very expensive, at least from what I have found, and I'd rather not spend any more money!

honestly just get a wire mesh top and you are good to go just measure your top and go to your local pet store and get one

Samcman

I use aquariums for all my lizards because they’re so much cheaper! If you really want a front opening enclosure you can buy a conversion kit, basically it’s a plexiglass piece that you silicone in(super easy) and they make them for aborial and horizontal enclosures for under $50!

The lizards

That works great!! I use a fish tank, but had to get rid of the plastic lid because of my cat. Just make sure you drill some air holes!!

Visit our friends