Aquatic Snail Info?

leogecko88

I have been thinking about buying some aquatic snails, but first I need to do lots of reading. Does anyone know of some good books or websites that I can refer to?

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
Is there a specific reason you want snails?
Most freshwater snails can be quite pesky. Unless however you are looking for salt water snails. I can direct you in the right direction with those.

leogecko88

I think that snails are interesting animals. It would be nice to keep a group of them. Since I have never had an aquarium before, I don't know if I should start with salt water. Fresh water snails are what I had in mind.

Dimidiata

There are TONS of species. From wilds to captives and i love them all.

You have Apple snails, which come in a large variety of species and sizes, from golfball to baseball. Generally you want 5-10gals for 1 snail.

Mystery snails, which are a group of apple snails, most common snail sold at stores. They have a large variety of colors. they are usualy golfball sized full grown, 5gals per snail.

Ramshorn snails, cute little snails with spiral shells, breed like mice and very hardy.

Pond/bladder snails- pests in planted tanks, small fast growing populations can take over.

Nerite snails- a tad more tough to care for but not much. They eat purley algae and veggies, but algae is a must. They have 30 or so diffrernt colors and shell types.

Assassin snails- They eat any snail they catch, i love them to pieces. They take out whole pond snail and ramshorn populations with stunning speed.

Rabbit snails, somewhat rare but beautiful calm snails.

Mylasian trumpet snails/red rim melania/MTS- A small cone shaped snail that breeds like a rabbit and eats decaying food from tanks which is good. they also aerate the substrate and are early indicators of something wrong with the water(they will leave the water).

I also have recently acquired Fawn trumpet snails, they are like MTS but FTS are much larger and imo, prettier. They are a very rare find in aquaria. luckily, i found local wild populations, which are very nice looking and breeding in my tanks.

I also have wild Ramshorns. They are much larger then their tank raised cousins. Im currently looking into getting wild Apple snails.

. For all species but the apple and mystery set up should be
5-10gal tank.
You want nice lighting, i recommend florescent to bring out their true colors and to keep plants alive. You going to need a good substrate, sand is only good if you will have something to stir it, like FTS and MTS. Gravel is good.

Plant wise you should have some easy growers like Javafern which snails dont tend to eat. Java moss is good for baby snails to hide in. Drift wood is a snails favorite thing, regardless, most snails LOVE drift wood.

Calcium tests, you needs them. You want hard water to keep snails healthy. Feeding them spinach and zucchini helps. Adding crushed coral to the tank will raise the calcium in the water.
You will need to clean the tank out regularly, while cycling and filtering arnt needed for snails, replacing 1/4 of the water every week is important.

For feeding, that all depends on the snail. MTS and FTS will eat anything on the bottom, catfish waffers and algae tabs are great. Assasins will need snails and shrimp pellets and possibly some frozen foods(depends on if you have snails). Ramshorn snails will eat decaying plant matter and algae. Apple and pond snails eat plants.

Last edited:

leogecko88

LOL, but I don't want random snails! I am interested in the mystery snails or ramshorn if I can find them.

You say snails don't need cycling and filtering. Would it be good to use these anyway?

Dimidiata

Itd be very very good. If you have the patients for a quick nitrogen cycle then by all means! Unfortunately you will have to feed it with fish food until there is enough snails to hold it over.

The snails that come in on plants are typically pond snails, honestly, you dont want them. Ramshorns are also common on plants.

If you like ramshorns and you like apples might i suggest a midway point?

Marisa! Aka Giant columbian ramshorn(GCM)
http://www.petfish.net/articles/Invertebrates/ramshorn.php

I had one and they are very quirky apple snails with great color. They eat plants but if you have the right kind and you feed the snail enough veggies it will ignore your plants.

Dimidiata

Yeah but typically if the tanks say 10gal and you have a handful of snails with the appropriate plants you wont have a problem. Still doing WC weekly, but the plants can generally handle the smaller bioloads of snails with the exception of a handful of Apples

Visit our friends