Are my Bearded Dragons fine?

GeckoGuys

Now, this isn’t necessarily saying my bearded dragons act strange, they act how every standard beardie usually acts, but that’s besides the point. I’m fairly certain I have two male bearded dragons who are both approximately 1 year and 6 months old, I just wanted to make sure they look like how they should at that age, I would never want them to have a stunted growth or be slown down on the growth, One of them has a mercury vapor bulb, the other a T5 10.0 UVB light and a Basking spot bulb, the humidity is usually 15-20% and the temps at the basking spots are in the %100 range, while the cool side is around %80. I feed them a good dose of vegetables and insects, dusted in calcium with the occasional multivitamins. I’ve heard bearded dragons get up to 24 inches at two years, so how do they look? (Just another heads up these two young lads are a year and sixth months approximately years old.)

Attachments

• 930E7825-C5E4-4CFA-85B3-981E3904084C.jpeg
    930E7825-C5E4-4CFA-85B3-981E3904084C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • ACBF6D48-3138-444C-B8CE-8F096BA3E290.jpeg
    ACBF6D48-3138-444C-B8CE-8F096BA3E290.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 5

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Not all bearded dragoons reach 24". Some only get to 18". My bearded dragon is 1 year and 9 months and current he's 15". It's hard to tell from your pictures exactly how yours look because of their positions, but I do feel that mine is bulkier than yours are. As long as they are eating, and they're getting a good serving of greens and fruit as well as insect feeders, they should maintain a reasonable weight and good health. My beardie gets greens and some fruit 4-5 times a week and crickets twice a week. I got him last year at 8 months and he's gotten a lot bigger since then.

Aliza

GeckoGuys

Not all bearded dragoons reach 24". Some only get to 18". My bearded dragon is 1 year and 9 months and current he's 15". It's hard to tell from your pictures exactly how yours look because of their positions, but I do feel that mine is bulkier than yours are. As long as they are eating, and they're getting a good serving of greens and fruit as well as insect feeders, they should maintain a reasonable weight and good health. My beardie gets greens and some fruit 4-5 times a week and crickets twice a week. I got him last year at 8 months and he's gotten a lot bigger since then.

Aliza
Currently I’ve just measured them, one is only 11 inches while the other is 12 inches, I’m not sure it just seems a little small for a year old beardie, but that could just be me. Can you upload a picture of your beardies? That would give me a general idea and help me figure this out a little more.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Here is Spark from last June when he was just a year eating his greens. You can see he's much bulkier than your dragons. Are you sure your dragons are actual P. vitticeps and not Rankins Dragons (P. Henrylawsoni)? Rankins are much smaller (and much less common). Are they getting the proper diet? Consider checking out beardeddragon.org which may be more helpful.

Aliza

Attachments

• SparkandGreensjpg.jpg
    SparkandGreensjpg.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 5

GeckoGuys

Here is Spark from last June when he was just a year eating his greens. You can see he's much bulkier than your dragons. Are you sure your dragons are actual P. vitticeps and not Rankins Dragons (P. Henrylawsoni)? Rankins are much smaller (and much less common). Are they getting the proper diet? Consider checking out beardeddragon.org which may be more helpful.

Aliza
Heres some pictures of them, I’ve heard you can determine the breed by checking the back and the beard to determine if their rankins, if it’s any help heres a more detailed picture of them, it was night but I was able to brighten the pictures via photoshop, hopefully it’s clear enough for you to see. I feed them once every three days, but I’ve now switched that to everyday just in case, I’ll feed them %70 veggies and %30 meat (I.e worms and stuff like that) I’ll dust it in calcium with the occasional multivitamins, I just bought them new UVB lighting also, I bought them the Arcadia Desert %12 T5 HO And the Arcadia Dragon %14 T5 HO, and I’ll be measuring them every week and weighing them, just in case they are in fact under weight but what do you think? Hopefully these pictures will be of use to you.

Attachments

• 5AF6A692-B0CE-4E2A-B85E-F765DB198B70.jpeg
    5AF6A692-B0CE-4E2A-B85E-F765DB198B70.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 62A2337A-2C62-4A10-8D75-371B83AC6066.jpeg
    62A2337A-2C62-4A10-8D75-371B83AC6066.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • 2243F749-078E-4FCC-850A-6CF45190977E.jpeg
    2243F749-078E-4FCC-850A-6CF45190977E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I wouldn't be able to tell if they're Rankins but it's highly unlikely you could have gotten that species without knowing. THey're pretty rare in the pet trade. They look a little bigger and better in these pictures. I think you change in feeding may make a difference.

Aliza

Visit our friends