ATTN BREEDERS!!!!

Biggest Downside to Breeding???

• Total voters

Whitey

hahaha, I bet you guys thought this was going to be some negative thread about breeding....lol, well it's not. I simply would like to know what you believe to be the biggest downside to breeding geckos is? Or if there is another reason you can think of, post it up please. Thank you.

Last edited:

cassadaga

Oregon Rainwater
I voted for the first option. I know that atleast some of the geckos I sell will end up living pretty terrible lives, but I think most go to good homes. There's just a lot of people who seem to lose interest really quick in their pets, and then just ignore them.

Khrysty

I picked the first one as well. If I had my way (and the money!) I'd tag them all with little cameras so I could spy on their new owners ;)

Whitey

I picked the first one as well. If I had my way (and the money!) I'd tag them all with little cameras so I could spy on their new owners ;)

LMFAO.... I had a feeling that #1 would be the downfall but you never know. I am looking into getting into breeding... I did a little bit last year but kept all the babies (lol). Keep them coming guys, I appreciate the responses.

ValMarley08

I have to say that the first option is the biggest downfall. I have only had one season of breeding and I dont think that I could do it again. I got attached to my little guys I had to let go. But I have a feeling they are in good hands. Atleast I hope that they are!

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I agree with everyone else so far. I get super nervous when I ship geckos to people I don't know. I also get really attatched, so it's hard to send them off to live away from me.

Otherwise for me it's not having enough space and money for all the projects I want to work on.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have no problem letting them go, aside from that worry (in relatively few cases) that they're not going to the ideal place. For me there are 2 worries, now that I produced more than I was expecting this year:

--being able to sell '09 geckos before the '10s start arriving

--having the 2-3 hours a night available to feed, etc.

Aliza

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Eventhough I have never bred any geckos, I voted for no. 1 anyways. It is the sole reason keeping me away from breeding. You can never guarantee they will be in good hands for their whole life; I will feel horrible if I know something happened to them later on.

RocksMama77

I have been considering breeding and I wrestle with option one as well as two other problems. One being that I feel the way about geckos as I do dogs. There are so many out there that need good homes how is it right for me to breed new ones. Two being the babies that come out with something wrong with them. Having to put them down when i brought them in is a terrible scary thought to me.

I actually had an idea of rescuing geckos that need homes and rehabilitating them and selling or giving them away to good homes.

Also these a simply my opinions. I mean nothing bad toward breeders at all. It is a personal choice not one that I put on others.

Whitey

RocksMama, I rescued geckos this past year and I think rescuing them is harder then sending new ones off. Well, for me anyways, because you pick up these poor looking animals in DESPERATE need of love, and you give it to them, they may make it, they may not. But, you grow attached and then when it comes time to give them away, you never know if the person you are giving them to is "worthy". (I don't mean worthy in the sense that they are scumbags, but if they know how to handle geckos), you don't want a rescue going back to someone who doesn't know a thing about geckos.

Khrysty

RocksMama, I rescued geckos this past year and I think rescuing them is harder then sending new ones off. Well, for me anyways, because you pick up these poor looking animals in DESPERATE need of love, and you give it to them, they may make it, they may not. But, you grow attached and then when it comes time to give them away, you never know if the person you are giving them to is "worthy". (I don't mean worthy in the sense that they are scumbags, but if they know how to handle geckos), you don't want a rescue going back to someone who doesn't know a thing about geckos.

I just sold Akira (a rescue from last spring) and it was horrible. I really have no way of knowing whether this guy will care for her properly and I'd hate for her to have to live the way I found her :/

But, well I had no room for her here and she was fat and healthy when gave her to her new home. That's really all I can do

mariex4

i would ask to see the buyers viv and id give them a caresheet and every so many months i would ask for a follow up with pics if none provided i will go and knock on there doors lol and take the poor thing back if was being miss treated

mariex4

i would ask to see the buyers viv and id give them a caresheet and every so many months i would ask for a follow up with pics if none provided i will go and knock on there doors lol and take the poor thing back if was being miss treated

thats what i do with my german shepherd i got her from the lancashire german shep rescue in preston lancs and i all ways send him pics of her to show him shes being looked after ,

Visit our friends