beginner turtle?

Khrysty

My brother asked me to go turtle shopping with him later today, figuring I'd be the reptile expert and could help him out...unfortunately, I can tell him anything he wants to know about multiple species of lizards, but nothing about turtles. So what's a good turtle for beginners, or rather, what's your favorite? Money for the animal itself and the habitat/food isn't a concern (the brat makes more in a week than I do in two months), so big tank, small tank doesn't matter. And if you do have a suggestion, could you tell me a little about tank setup and food? Thanks :)

animeavatar

I <3 Mu Mu!!
Turtles can be high maintenance. A musk turtle stays small but turtles like red eared sliders can end up needing a humongous tank( reason why i dont have a turtle). It isn't just money as a concern, is he willing to take care of it? does he have time? What if he loses his job? etc. Tell him to search up some turtles because he should be the one researching because he wants it. It's okay to ask questions but I personally think that if he wants a pet, he has to be responsible and not lazy. There are many things to consider before getting a pet. Maybe he can find an adoption centre with turtles.

Khrysty

I didnt mean to imply that money was the only consideration, just meant to let those who respo d know that the size of the enclosure can be huge and decor and heat/lighting/supplementation etc would also be taken care of easily too. I understand that any pet is a commitment, and i assume he does too. He's a grownup and I don't have control over what he does with his life or his pets. As far as I know he's willing to devote the time, space and effort to the little guy. He may or may not have done his research, but I'd like some information, too, since he asked for my help. He wasn't able to go out today so I have longer to get that information now.

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
Having an open ended budget does seriously open up some species that might not otherwise be good options.

Something to consider with any turtle or tortoise though; they all live a long, long time. All of them are a commitment. This is not something I am saying to discourage him from the purchase, it just means that it's really important to select one he likes, because whatever it is, it'll be around for awhile.

Narrowing it down, some of the things to figure out:

Does he prefer something aquatic or something terrestrial?
Does he have any preference when it comes to carnivorous, herbivorous or omnivorous diets?
Does he want something bigger or something smaller?
What kind of aesthetics appeal to him; high domed shells, sleeker and flatter, any specific colors, or shapes he finds appealing?
How much of what kind of interaction does he want or expect?*
What kind of commitment is he looking for in terms of maintenance on a daily/weekly/monthly basis?
And... of course... what is actually available in the place he intends to go looking?

There are still some things he should probably avoid, jumping right into fly river turtles, mata matas or large tortoises is probably not the best idea; but given the commitment he's probably better off starting with something he genuinely wants, rather than something that shows up on a list as being the easiest to care for.

*s a generalization, turtles and tortoises are some of the most intelligent reptiles and can potentially be pretty rewarding in that respect.

fl_orchidslave

Just some thoughts about one of the most popular and readily available tortoises, the sulcatta. They're so cute and adorable when small, but get really huge. They're like a bull in a china shop as adults and are usually housed in large outdoor enclosures. They live a long time and provisions should be made in the owners will for their care. But they are wonderful and personable pets, so long as a prospective owner understands how big they really get.

I had a redfoot that was quite sweet and responsive to human interaction, and easy to care for. She was a rescue thru our herp society and with me for further rehabilitation after being cleared by the vet.

Good luck in choosing, there's a lot of really nice ones :)

Khrysty

Does he prefer something aquatic or something terrestrial? he seems to have been leaning more towards the aquatic
Does he have any preference when it comes to carnivorous, herbivorous or omnivorous diets? no preference, but my guess is that he wouldn't mind an animal that hunts so carnivorous or omniverous
Does he want something bigger or something smaller?on the smallish side/B]
What kind of aesthetics appeal to him; high domed shells, sleeker and flatter, any specific colors, or shapes he finds appealing? that one I don't know offhand
How much of what kind of interaction does he want or expect?*
What kind of commitment is he looking for in terms of maintenance on a daily/weekly/monthly basis? he travels for work, while he's home he plans on daily interaction. While working, he's usually gone for a week or two, then home for a few weeks. His roommates intend to ''babysit'' during those times.
And... of course... what is actually available in the place he intends to go looking? i'm not sure where we're going yet. There are some smaller pet stores in the area that carry or can acquire all manner of legal pets, and there are some chain stores too that just carry what's popular

Khrysty

Just some thoughts about one of the most popular and readily available tortoises, the sulcatta. They're so cute and adorable when small, but get really huge. They're like a bull in a china shop as adults and are usually housed in large outdoor enclosures. They live a long time and provisions should be made in the owners will for their care. But they are wonderful and personable pets, so long as a prospective owner understands how big they really get.

I had a redfoot that was quite sweet and responsive to human interaction, and easy to care for. She was a rescue thru our herp society and with me for further rehabilitation after being cleared by the vet.

Good luck in choosing, there's a lot of really nice ones :)

See, a sulcata tortoise I do know about. I have a friend who's kept one for a few years. I tried to convince Jeff (the brother) to go for for a tortoise, but he says he definitely prefers a turtle

M_surinamensis

Shillelagh Law
he seems to have been leaning more towards the aquatic

That eliminates tortoises and most box turtles, although the common name "box turtle" applies to some species which are a little more aquatically inclined than the North American species bearing that name.

The exact mixes of water and land, and the way they are arranged (water depth, temperature, basking area, substrate) are going to vary by species. There are only a few that would require no land/basking area at all, most will still need at least a portion of the enclosure dry.

but my guess is that he wouldn't mind an animal that hunts so carnivorous or omniverous

Very cool, that also keeps options open. Some things to keep in mind... The exact diet needed to keep any given turtle healthy will vary; portions, nutrient content, the way it is presented and managed, these will change with species, age and overall current health. Most aquatic turtles will take prekilled and even processed food items fairly readily, which makes it a bit easier to manipulate their diet, but many commercial foods fall short of the goal of a healthy complete diet. Goldfish are just about the worst thing on the planet to feed to almost anything.

Obviously you're helping him out, but he should get to know the nutritional needs of the species he owns. Malnutrition in both directions is a fairly common problem in captive turtles, just as a result of owners not knowing any better.

on the smallish side

That might be a major factor in his selection process then, depending on how he's defining smallish. Females tend to get larger than males in many species, often substantially larger, so picking a male may help keep the size down. Even so, that restriction takes a lot of common pet store species out of the running.

The stock wherever you end up going is a mystery, but look into mud and musk turtles, painted turtles, smaller species of Cuora (requires more land, more of a semi-aquatic), they're all usually available pretty readily. It'd help to have some idea of a size cutoff, shell no bigger than ___ inches. Or enclosure no larger than ____ square feet (footprint).

he travels for work, while he's home he plans on daily interaction. While working, he's usually gone for a week or two, then home for a few weeks. His roommates intend to ''babysit'' during those times.

That matters a bit in how he approaches it. Aquatic turtles are kind of filthy. Diet plays a role, enclosure arrangement, filtration devices, all that stuff... but they're messy animals, as animals go. Lots of waste, lots of water changes and filter maintenance. The bigger he goes with the enclosure and the smaller the mass of the turtle(s) he keeps in it, the more diffuse that waste is as it is produced, changing the time period allowed between thorough cleanings.

All in all though, I still think one of the most important factors is going to be the appeal the animal holds for him. He really should identify what he likes, then figure out what he would need to know and do in order to keep it. It's substantially more difficult to rehome a turtle than it is to do the same with a snake or most lizards and they live for decades. The idea of just getting a beginner turtle is a weird one, because it'll be with the new owner for a long, long time. The size and shape of the enclosure required, the time commitment in terms of upkeep... it really should be the turtle someone genuinely wants, rather than the one that was most convenient or easiest or happened to be on sale when they decided to buy one.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Id recommend a mud or a musk. They dont get very large and are fairly open to what theyll eat. Care is relatively simple compared to many of the common aquatics like red ears and maps. They arent the prettiest turtles but they are full of personality and are interesting to watch. They are also good climbers, found in trees even sometimes. I kept a musk turtle for 12 years and she was always a riot to feed.,handling isnt the best idea as most will bite but water turtles are pretty much hands off in,general.

animeavatar

I <3 Mu Mu!!
Id recommend a mud or a musk. They dont get very large and are fairly open to what theyll eat. Care is relatively simple compared to many of the common aquatics like red ears and maps. They arent the prettiest turtles but they are full of personality and are interesting to watch. They are also good climbers, found in trees even sometimes. I kept a musk turtle for 12 years and she was always a riot to feed.,handling isnt the best idea as most will bite but water turtles are pretty much hands off in,general.

I wanna musk but they are a threatened species. They also musk but I don't mind.

My brother asked me to go turtle shopping with him later today, figuring I'd be the reptile expert and could help him out...unfortunately, I can tell him anything he wants to know about multiple species of lizards, but nothing about turtles. So what's a good turtle for beginners, or rather, what's your favorite? Money for the animal itself and the habitat/food isn't a concern (the brat makes more in a week than I do in two months), so big tank, small tank doesn't matter. And if you do have a suggestion, could you tell me a little about tank setup and food? Thanks :)

I have lots of turtles but the best for beginners are musk turtle because they stay small they dont cost as much as basking types like sliders. Also they are hardy turtles, but do not get a hatchling because they are fragile and the need 1" in SCL to be good to raise or another words get one a year old i have a you tube channel that deals with reptiles but right now mostly turtles. If you have any more questions PM me i would be happy to help you with your turtle needs. Im a turtle guru (Thank the LORD) :D. Remeber to have a good filter, water heater, uvb bulb, heat light, and two lamps for the lights, and a basking area that isnt rought good luck. :D

Visit our friends