Bold Stripe, Recessive?

gidferrer

Hi guys,

I recently stumbled on the Bold Stripe morph. Wasn't expecting to have this morph in my collection so I need to ask some questions about it.

Are they considered a recessive morph? I'm posting 2 images of my Bold Stripes and please let me know if I did the right pairing. Thanks!

Bold Stripe.Male.
4000486124_649b7a75d7.jpg

Mack Snow Probable Bold Stripe?.Female.
4004828838_a325c1c5d7_o.jpg

4004828830_d512d176ea_o.jpg

*Note: (Parents are both Het for Bold Stripe) 2/8 offsprings look like this. So Im wondering if this Snow is indeed considered a Bold Stripe.:)

Last edited:

Wandering Paddle

Bold stripes are recessive, but not simple recessive, it is an incomplete mode of inheritance.

The male you have is a bold stripe, the female is a jungle. The jungle morph is the intermediate between banded and striped. Breeding two bold stripes will give you varying bold stripes. Breeding a jungle to a bold stripe will give you bold stripes and jungles. All jungles produced from this pair will carry bold stripe genes and will basically act as hets. But the term het isnt actually correct when referring to stripes.

gidferrer

Two of my favorite members here answered my question! :)

Thanks guys... So, you think I should breed these two?

artgecko

Bold stripes are recessive, but not simple recessive, it is an incomplete mode of inheritance... Breeding two bold stripes will give you varying bold stripes. Breeding a jungle to a bold stripe will give you bold stripes and jungles.

Would you get Bolds in the first generation (F1s)? If so, wouldn't that mean that Bold Stripe is dominant?

BTW: nice Leos, I really like the Mack Snow, nice contrast. I hope you can produce some beautiful Mack Snow Bold Stripes.

gidferrer

The photo of the Mack Snow was taken about a month ago. Ill take some images when I get home and update her image.:)

Wandering Paddle

Would you get Bolds in the first generation (F1s)? If so, wouldn't that mean that Bold Stripe is dominant?

There would likely be bold stripes born in the f1 generation of this pair, but this doesnt mean that bold stripe is dominant. The jungle pictured will act as a het animal for bold stripe... but this isnt to say that only a bold jungle could act as a bold stripe het. Its all very relative to each individual pair and there genetic lineage.

Breeding a bold stripe to a wild caught proves that bold stripe isnt dominant. You would not get any stripe offspring.

robin

i am not going to tell you what i think a bout stripe genetics because every time i do people tell me i am wrong even though i worked extensively on them for several years. but breeding that bold stripe with that snow bold jungle should yield you some bold jungles and some bold stripes for sure. there is a possibility that all the off offspring will be either jungle or stripe as well. ;)

very nice animals! :D

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
breeding that bold stripe with that snow bold jungle should yield you some bold jungles and some bold stripes for sure. there is a possibility that all the off offspring will be either jungle or stripe as well. ;)
I agree 100%.

gidferrer

i am not going to tell you what i think a bout stripe genetics because every time i do people tell me i am wrong even though i worked extensively on them for several years. but breeding that bold stripe with that snow bold jungle should yield you some bold jungles and some bold stripes for sure. there is a possibility that all the off offspring will be either jungle or stripe as well. ;)

very nice animals! :D

Another favorite member! Thanks man!

Visit our friends