can a giant rainbow plate lizard eat wet dog or cat food?

geckos'n'stuff123

I have a giant rainbow plate lizard and currently it eats roman lettuce and super worms. I've seen people feed BTS wet dog food but can these eat it as well. i haven't found much info on them but hes been doing well and I've had him for a little less then a year.

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
Too fatty and incomplete for reptiles. Anything made for mammals is typically going to be insufficient or in surplus for reptiles to be healthy on.

bubblez825

what about ground beef? We feed our bts cooked ground beef(plain no seasonings or anything) and crush it up with banana and kale/collard greens/mustard greens, whatever i had bought for my bearded dragon that week. he gets blueberries when we have them, too. I don't know anything about rainbow plate lizards, but if they have a similar diet, would ground beef be okay?

Ellie_A

Many people feed high quality canned dog food to blue tongue skinks and have found no issues with it. Cat food contains taurine which is bad for reptiles so stay away from that. If your rainbow lizard requires a diet similar to a blue tongue then I see no reason that you couldn't feed it dog food (stick to the high protein holistic brands).
On another note, romaine lettuce really isn't good for any reptiles, it contains a lot of water and not many nutrients and can cause dehydration through loose stools. Please see the chart on this link for different food ideas http://bluetongueskinks.net/foodchart.html . Please note that this guide is recommended for blue tongues and you should research if these foods are suitable for your reptile.
I'm not sure if this is the same lizard, but take a look at this link for a basic care guideline http://www.anapsid.org/plated.html

geckos'n'stuff123

his main diet is romain and he never has loose stole he eats crickets, meal worms, super worms, and fruits and veggies. i try to very his diet as much as possible

Visit our friends