Clueless as to what to do , please help

Calboy

Hello all Im new here and have come seeking help , in recent times I moved back into my mothers house where my two sisters also live , one of them is ten , and since I’ve been moved out she has owned a leopard gecko for quite some time. My 10 year old sister was the only one who looked out for it and did not care for it properly nor consistently and I fear the gecko is near death.

it seems it is blind in one eye

It’s legs are all noodle like some look completely limp

It has a hunch In it’s back I’m assuming a displaced bone

he seems active and alert but doesn’t have full access to his body

Im sure his feeding/dusting and husbandry is all wrong

i breed and keep chameleons and I understand the severity of health issues like this in lizards . I just didn’t know what had been going on all this time and now I’m coming to the forums seeking advice on what I should do next because it is suffering and I know nothing of gecko care .

i don’t have many pictures yet I’m afraid to touch and hurt him so I’ll get some more in the morning.

let’s try to save this guys life please

Attachments

• 09A6B9BC-C253-4AA4-BF2B-FEB8103CDFE7.jpeg
    09A6B9BC-C253-4AA4-BF2B-FEB8103CDFE7.jpeg
    272.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 336CB30D-E4EE-4AF0-994B-CFC25C994C46.jpeg
    336CB30D-E4EE-4AF0-994B-CFC25C994C46.jpeg
    22.9 KB · Views: 6

Calboy

He also doesn’t seem like he’s suffering though he looks like he’s big chilling all the time but I’m guess this is just his all leopard geckos look

Bliss13

I would highly recommend taking him to a vet. He likely needs things only a vet can provide. Trying to stop progression of his MBD is vital. I am unsure about his back. He might have fractured it at some point to have that significant of a bend. Can he move around the tank? I worry about his quality of life. He also needs immediate changes to his husbandry to make sure he is getting adequate temps, moisture, and safety.

Calboy

Im prepared to make any changes for its husbandry and I’ve made an appointment with my chameleon vet to look at the poor gecko.

currently

he is watered by bowl everyday

Cricket and mealworm diet (gut loaded with standard cricket food)

has one ceramic basking light that’s ran around the clock currently basking temp is 85-90 ( it’s summer here and sometimes reaching to the triples so the temp changes a lot

In a 25 gallon tank

Is not supplemented in anyway

carpet substrate

what Should i add or change ?

Bliss13

I would make the basking temp around 90-93. Tank size sounds fine. crickets and mealworms that are gut loaded are great. I would start supplementing with Calcium with vit D at every feed (dust insects). I also leave a bowl of calcium with Vit D in enclosure at all times. Also give a multivitamin once weekly. If he had bad metabolic bone disease (which by sound of it he does) the vet may give injections and/or liquid supplements to help him quicker. Carpet substrate is not recommended as it easily harbors bacteria and they can get their nails stuck in it. I would recommend paper towel for him during his rehabilitation. That way you can easily see what his stools look like. He will need a moist hide to help him shed and will probably need your help to get all shed off feet/toes/tail. Also a warm dry hide and a cool hide is recommended. I would take anything tall out of enclosure to help prevent falls. Hope this helps!

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Make sure that the gut load for the feeders looks like powdered grain and not like colored gelatin squares. The grain provides nutrition. The colored gelatin squares are really just water with silicon crystal and dye. Consider an under tank heater instead of the basking light (I don't think this is a deal breaker if you can't get one, it just provides belly heat 24/7 without overly dehydrating the cage). I prefer ZooMed heat cable (14'or 25' for that size cage) because it can be taped on and then removed and put elsewhere. Best price is usually on Ebay. You'll need a thermostat as well, Best price usually Zilla.

Aliza

Visit our friends