Day Geckos Sleeping on the Glass

CinTob

Hi!

So, while looking for something else, I learned about floppy tail from sleeping upside down on the glass. I have two 6-month-old Crimson Days, and they spend a lot of time on the glass, despite many plants, branches and vines in their viv. (They do hang out on the branches to bask.) They usually sleep on the glass, usually upside down. I wish I'd have gotten a bigger enclosure, but I got the Exo Terra 18x18x24. It does sit next to the TV, but that's only on part of the evenings. I'll move them if need be. Also, they startle easily, despite never once having touched them (in two months), and talking to them sweetly often. I did let them lick Pangea off my finger to insure each liked it, but that was just in the beginning.

Do I need to make or buy hides for them to sleep in? They started out sleeping on the Sansevieria, but within days moved to the glass. They also do almost all of their traveling on the glass. Now I'm worried.

Thanks for any comments, help, etc.

Cindy

Attachments

• IMG_6691.jpg
    IMG_6691.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 6

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It looks to me as if they have plenty of perches if that's what they prefer. Not every gecko that sits on the glass upside down gets floppy tail. My crested geckos like to be upside down on the glass and they're fine. I find that a lot of gecko species fall in love with one type of location and then after awhile they change to another one. I just wish the leopard geckos who are pooping inside their warm hides would get over it already!

Aliza

CinTob

It looks to me as if they have plenty of perches if that's what they prefer. Not every gecko that sits on the glass upside down gets floppy tail. My crested geckos like to be upside down on the glass and they're fine. I find that a lot of gecko species fall in love with one type of location and then after awhile they change to another one. I just wish the leopard geckos who are pooping inside their warm hides would get over it already!

Aliza
Thanks so much for your reply! Lol about the pooping!

So, I came home tonight to find my male like this. He was "down" for the night. I usually find him in this area in the mornings. Now I really am worried... I actually disturbed him so that he would change positions, which I've never done before. He's now in a better position. Oh, I hate this!

Also, would you move them away from the TV, into an unused bedroom maybe?

Thanks again for replying to this!

Attachments

• IMG_6966 (1).jpg
    IMG_6966 (1).jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 4

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't think moving him is going to change anything. I've got nocturnal geckos and day geckos in the same rooms where we spend most of our evening time and everyone seems to be fine (not to say you shouldn't move him). I don't know what to say about the tail. I'm pretty hands off with my geckos --I let them pretty much do what they want. Occasionally I see a tail in that position with my crested geckos and I just gently push it back into an upright position. I guess if there were a space he liked better for sleeping than the sides of the enclosure he'd spend more time there, but otherwise there's really nothing you can do. In all honesty,, floppy tail isn't the end of the world.

Aliza

CinTob

I don't think moving him is going to change anything. I've got nocturnal geckos and day geckos in the same rooms where we spend most of our evening time and everyone seems to be fine (not to say you shouldn't move him). I don't know what to say about the tail. I'm pretty hands off with my geckos --I let them pretty much do what they want. Occasionally I see a tail in that position with my crested geckos and I just gently push it back into an upright position. I guess if there were a space he liked better for sleeping than the sides of the enclosure he'd spend more time there, but otherwise there's really nothing you can do. In all honesty,, floppy tail isn't the end of the world.

Aliza
Thanks so much for your reply! We did move them to another room. It wasn't terrible for them -- I don't think. We moved the table with the viv atop by putting it on a blanket and sliding it all the way but the last 6 feet or so, where we slowly lifted and moved it. They seem to be happier there. The next day they were both on the front glass, which was unusual, I guess checking out their new surroundings. A lot quieter, and a lot less lights. I ordered and will receive Monday two hollow bamboo pieces, and I added a fake log hide. I couldn't find the female this evening, for the first time, and so maybe she's in there. And as you said, as I've seen them upside down with their tales bent, I've gently "bothered" them to move. (Just saw the female that way for the first time today.) And yes... I'm learning that it isn't the end of the world, but I still really want to avoid it. I did read to put pieces of cork on the glass. I found some really inexpensive pieces and ordered them. I'll wait to see if it continues before I install them.

Best to you and your geckos!

CinTob

I will! I actually split a piece of the bamboo, and it worked in my favor. It's almost halved most of the way down, with about three inches still round, I stood it up against the glass where they sometimes sleep upside down. I've seen them both go in there. Not enough room for their tails to flop there!

I do see that the female has a bit of a kink at the beginning of her tail (you can see it in my user photo) that may be permanent. I guess I just never paid attention to how they were sleeping until I happened upon the article. But, in trying to solve the problem, I believe they now have a much better home. Four new bamboo "tubes", vertical and horizontal, differing lengths. Now to leave them alone except for feeding and misting. They were bothered a lot over the weekend.

Thanks so much for the help!

Papillon

I have two 6 month old Crimsons since they were babies, 2 Adult Giant Days since they we 3 months old and have hatched 5 baby Giant Day’s and they all have spent a LOT of time on the glass! I also think that is where they go to poop as I clean Day gecko glass several times a day!
Both Crimsons have slept and spent much of their tine on the glass, even though they have plenty to climb and explore in their bio-vivariums. I have found also that Crimsons are more skirmish and shy they other.
Even my Giant Day pair has their moments, but they run to the door when I open because they know Im bringing them yum yum, they will let me pet them and associate me with good things. Confident my Crimsons with too some day.
As for floppy tail; have not heard that to be a problem in Day’s, thought doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. I have read about this in adult Cresties, which I have one but no tail. The other in a juvi born 09/11/21 and has tail. I hear the adult tail, the older they get, can become floppy and eventually drop.
For handling Day geckos, I think after a LOT of quality interaction, they can handle you, like crawl and jump on your arm safely, but they are just too fragile for normal handling due to the fact they can sloth of big parts of their skin, and like their tail drops, can happen very easily. They are extremely flighty also.
My first and only Day escape was my first hatched baby, from the incubator, to my hand, to the floor, then gone! 30 minutes later say him on top edge of shelve watching crazy guy looking fir him. Safely caught him and now have transfer procedures in place.
I’m no expert in geckos, just sharing my experience. Good luck!

muskiemagic

Aliza
LOL I have a Leo who uses her cool hide as her bathroom

CinTob

I have two 6 month old Crimsons since they were babies, 2 Adult Giant Days since they we 3 months old and have hatched 5 baby Giant Day’s and they all have spent a LOT of time on the glass! I also think that is where they go to poop as I clean Day gecko glass several times a day!
Both Crimsons have slept and spent much of their tine on the glass, even though they have plenty to climb and explore in their bio-vivariums. I have found also that Crimsons are more skirmish and shy they other.
Even my Giant Day pair has their moments, but they run to the door when I open because they know Im bringing them yum yum, they will let me pet them and associate me with good things. Confident my Crimsons with too some day.
As for floppy tail; have not heard that to be a problem in Day’s, thought doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen. I have read about this in adult Cresties, which I have one but no tail. The other in a juvi born 09/11/21 and has tail. I hear the adult tail, the older they get, can become floppy and eventually drop.
For handling Day geckos, I think after a LOT of quality interaction, they can handle you, like crawl and jump on your arm safely, but they are just too fragile for normal handling due to the fact they can sloth of big parts of their skin, and like their tail drops, can happen very easily. They are extremely flighty also.
My first and only Day escape was my first hatched baby, from the incubator, to my hand, to the floor, then gone! 30 minutes later say him on top edge of shelve watching crazy guy looking fir him. Safely caught him and now have transfer procedures in place.
I’m no expert in geckos, just sharing my experience. Good luck!
Thanks! Always good and fun to hear other's experiences. I've never touched mine. The female is chill around me, the male runs. This morning I woke to the female on the front glass with her butt on the very top and her tail at a 90 degree angle against the top. UGH! I opened the other door and nudged her tail. It took a while for her to move. Hated scaring her, but hated seeing her tail completely bent the wrong way yet again. I'll settle in eventually. Is amazing how important they are to me. I don't like to be away too long, as it's dry here in winter, and they need misting three times daily. Thanks and Take Care!

Visit our friends