dieing out of the egg!!!

BSM

Lately with my last 4 i had hatch over the last week, they have died right out of the egg. I check my incubator twice a day, once when i get up around 7 and right away when i get home from work around 6ish. On monday i checked my incubator in the morning as usual and then when i got home at 6 there were two babies half way out of the egg and dead. This morning i got up and it was the same thing two more dead babies half way out of the egg, i dont know why this is happening. The incubator has been at 84F like with all my other eggs and they hatched out fine but now it seems like theres a problem. I checked the incubation vermeticulite to see if it was maybe too dry or too wet but its the same as the other containers. Im expecting 10 eggs to be hatching over the next few days and im hoping the babies dont occur the same fate

thanks,
BRyan

robin

could the egg be to thick and they are having to over exert themselves or get too much fluid in their lungs?

Imperial Geckos

LIVE THE LIFE ™
Maybe they are just weak geckos? I dont think incubation temps would have an effect on the gecko life after birth, i know it influences sex and could be the cause of deformities..

are the normals or any specific morph?

My best guess is just "survival of the fittest" theory..they were just genetically weak..

Good Luck with the other eggs! Hopefully the are strong and hungry babies! :main_thumbsup:

BSM

I just found another one :(

P7140596.jpg

P7140598.jpg

P7140597.jpg

these are all from the same pairing, lemon albino stripe x tang albino stripe but i due the same cross but with the females sister and i havnt had any problems. I have had only a few eggs hatch from this female but her sister almost everyone hatched :main_huh:

The main trio i use that never had this happen with (the female on the left is the sister of this ones baby)
P7140599.jpg

Khrysty

I had this happen to ALL of my hatchlings last season. They were leos, not fatties, but the same thing applies. I got rid of the sire before the beginning of this season and got my females a new mate. The babies that I've hatched so far are strong and healthy. My guess was (and still is) that the merging of the genetic material from that particular pairing just produced weak offspring.

BSM

I already planned to outcross my albinos this year but first need to wait till my babies grow up or somehow get a wc albino to save time but its doubt full with the last thought. In the mean while i will be trying my other male tang albino to see if the results change

snared99

Luxurious Leopards
Unfortuntely you are seeing the dark side of breeding fattails. The dying out of the eggs does randonly happen with AFT, but it does seem your experiencing more then normal. That baby in the pic looks to me as one that had yolk issues. Sometimes they start coming out before they should, and the yolk need to be absorbed more. I have seen plenty of leos hatch with yolk sacs, which they quickly absorb, but my theory is that aft can not deal as well with this issue. Also i noticed the egg shells in your picture do not look as nice and white as they should, maybe this is also related to a calcium/supplement issue. What is your supplimenation course?? In addition your media for incubation looks a bit too moist, how are you mixing it? AFT are EXTREMELY sensitive what growing in the egg to a high moisture, and do not do well with it at all.
Hope this helps a bit.

BSM

I use 50/50 water:vermiculite ratio and i recently added more water a day before this one hatched as it looked too dry. I give all my fat tails calcium during feeding and there supers and crickets are fed high quality diet along with fruits and vegetables, i have also had some fat tails that would hatch out from this female but would die a week or so later. My other fat tails have hatched out bigger then these babies from this pairing

Here is an example

about 2 weeks old
bsm019.jpg

about 3 weeks
bsm018.jpg

you can see the size difference between the two, the first one is from the same pairing of the one who died hatching and the second one is from the sister. All are from the same pairing, i sold all my other hatch-lings from my other pairings and i wish i didnt as now i have very few babies to raise up.

snared99

Luxurious Leopards
Hmmm. Well i definetly wouldnt breed that gal again, doesnt seem to produce strong lines/babies. I use a 1:.8 mix of vermiculte, maybe that would help?

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Maybe a better supplement would help too. I am a huge believer in Repashy Calcium Plus, there is a lot more to proper nutrition than just calcium and Allen has done a lot of research and testing to produce a top notch supplement.

supperl

G.Man <- ask HJ
I woldn´t do water to thbe supstrate when it drys out. Well if it drys out tooo much than you should but what I learned was, if I water them at the end of the incubation, than many babies die in the egg or shortly after it. I do 1/1 water and perlite now and I won´t do more water in the cup :)
I also don´t have holes in the cup but give fresh air every week.

Visit our friends