DIY Wine Cooler Incubator Help

727geckokid

I have a really Nice 52 Bottle wine cooler that i would like to convert into an Incubator.Height 31 inches Width 21.5 inches Depth 22 inches
I have a Couple Of questions though as i want to be sure I make it as stable as possible. I know a good Thermostat is key but:

1: Size of heat tape to use? I believe most people use 11", Just wanted to make sure.
2: Placement of the Heat Tape. I have seen some people run it along the Back, Top, and Bottom.
3: To Fan or Not To Fan? I have a Small fan already just need to know if i need it.
4: Fan Placement.

Thanks in advance for all your Help.

Gregg M

Registered Member
11 inch heat tape.
I prefer bottom heat... That is how all of my incubators run...
No need for a fan in bottom heated incubators... Temperatures stay very stable without one...
If you do install a fan I would put it on the bottom one third of the incubator... I dont think it is needed though...

janjgeckos

Will you be able to put enough flexwatt on the bottom to maintain temps?
The way my wine cooler is set up you only have enough room for a 1 foot peice and half of that bends up the back wall. Mine is smaller in the bottom then it is the rest of the way up.

justindh1

http://geckoforums.net/showthread.php?t=56601
Here's a link to the one I built. I'm not saying that this is the right way to do it. I think that there are many ways that you can do it and many work very well. It really be based on the size of the fridge though.

In mine the temp. difference between the bottom and top shelf is only .2 of a degree. The temps fluctuates from 85.7 to 85.3 in the entire incubator since its been running for a bit. It has stablized more since the first initial testing. I used water bottles to help keep the temps from fluctuating especially when opening up the door. It allows better heat retention.

I used 11" heat tape which seems to be everyones choice. My incubator has a 30" inch piece of heat tape on the bottom and a 15" inch piece on the top. Since it was taller I decided that it might work better. It seems to work very well. I used a fan in mine and placed it on the top. Since heat rises, I figure that it would be a better placement. I tested it on the top middle and bottom before deciding on placing it on the top. I got a AC powered one so i could hook it right up to the power and not have to use a converter.

I hope this adds to the information thats already been posted!

reptilenut

Greg Stephens
I am going to be taking on the same project soon. I am going to attempt to use the heat wire, and wrap the interior lining with it, from the outside of the liner, err inside, anyway you will not be able to see the wire when I am finished. It will be a lot of work, and I hope the heat transfers well. It will be about a month before I get started, and when I do I am going to document the whole process with pics, and maybe even a video.

janjgeckos

Here is a pic of mine its controled by a helix has 12'' of flexwatt on the bottom and 18-24'' up the back
011-10.jpg

727geckokid

Sorry I didnt update. I built the incubator the 31st. Its is working great. I have been writing down the temps every half an hour for the last couple days and it has not moved from 84.4-84.6 on 2 different thermometers. I already have 2 clutches cooking in there. I will post pics soon.

The best part was i paid a Whopping $20 for the whole incubator. The wine cooler was $20 on Craigslist, a friend of mine owed me a lil bit of money so he gave me several feet of 11" heat tape already connected and wired (I only used about 15'' tho) and David Evans had a Spare fan and motor, and lastly my good friend Bill(Not on this forum) provided me with shelves. Gotta love your friends Thanks again guys :main_thumbsup:

Visit our friends