Do you think it's ok to feed medium supers to a juvenile?

Latlaw

Until recently I thought supers and meal worms were the same just bigger. But I guess they are actually a different worm? Anyway, wondering if it is safe to feed my 6-7 mos Henry medium sized supers.

Riyo

Pet Human
You could feed him full sized supers just fine.

And yes, they are definitely different beetle larvae. Meal worms are Tenebrio molitor while Super worms are Zoophobas Morio. Both are a type of Darkling Beetle.

B

BioWorkZ

The super worms I got are freakin' HUGE. I saw my large male eat one and in my opinion it seems too big. One super is probably 4-5 times the mass of a large mealworm. My leos don't seem to like them too much. Now I'm stuck with 400+ super worms. =(

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
My 8 gram gecko is eating fairly large superworms with no problems, on her way to not being an 8 gram gecko anymore since she is 4 months old (it's the snow genes).

Aliza

Latlaw

My 8 gram gecko is eating fairly large superworms with no problems, on her way to not being an 8 gram gecko anymore since she is 4 months old (it's the snow genes).

Aliza

Good to hear since I went ahead and ordered some. Do they like them the same as mealworms? Are they as healthy for them? I'm assuming you gutload them the same. And lastly, they're kind of ugly, aren't they. lol! The mealworms don't bother me, crickets do a little, and now I have to deal with this ugly worm. hee hee. I refuse to do roaches though . .

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Some like them, some don't. They have been especially good for some of my hatchlings that haven't caught onto eating mealworms out of a dish. I can hand them a superworm or two and they're good for the evening. They are gutloaded the same as mealworms, but not refrigerated. It took me about a year before I could pick one up but now I'm OK with it. Watch out for their mouths; they bite.

Aliza

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
Any hatchlings of mine over 10 grams are taking full grown kings/supers just fine. some of my smaller guys are taking the smaller supers.

Visit our friends