Golden gecko has a blocked.. Rectum? With a spot that won't shed

SweetShef

I have a 5+ year o,d golden gecko and for the first time in those 5 years I've never had issues with him shedding. After his most recent shed, there seems to be a bit left blocking his excretion area. I am not sure if it stopping him from doing his business as I just noticed it is still there after 2 weeks while he was up on the front glass. I plan on watching but I am afraid of pulling it off because I obviously I don't want to hurt him but if it is blocking him from pooping then I must do something...?. Any advice?

Ghostoftangerine17

ヒョウモントカゲモドキ
Usually a warm soak helps for stuck shed skin, so I'd try that first. You can also rub the area with a moist cotton swab after that.

Good luck :main_thumbsup:

B&B Geckos

Usually a warm soak helps for stuck shed skin, so I'd try that first. You can also rub the area with a moist cotton swab after that.

Good luck :main_thumbsup:

+1
Soak it for about 15-20 min. so that the area in question is submerged, if necessary repeat. Depending on the depth of the water you may want to stick around to prevent drowning. I read about an older gecko drowning in about 3/4" of water. Try removing with wet q-tip; mineral oil or vegetable oil on q-tip also works well. You may also use blunt, rounded end tweezers used for picking postage stamps to remove it.

SweetShef

Thanks guys! He wasn't a fan of the water so I coaxed it with the q tip. Took a few minuted but I got most of it off and he let one loose on my hand afterward to show how he felt about the situation.. Seems like he's back to normal! :)

Visit our friends