High end vs Low end

Keitone

So what is the difference between a $1500 nova and a $150 nova? Or any other morph for that matter.

I definitely see visual differences but leos are so individual anyway how do you tell the difference? In the case of raptors full red eyes are more expensive than snake eyes. Ok, I get that. If the animals all have the same genetics, nova being enigma raptor, and what is considered desirable varies from person to person how can there be such huge price differences?

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
I was just thinking this same thought yesterday while looking a breeder's website. They didn't have a single thing under $600, and the highest was $1600. None of the geckos were startlingly gorgeous or particularly expensive morphs. Some were rarer morphs, but not that rare. Must be the reputation, I concluded, but they won't sell one to me, that's for sure.

ElapidSVT

lolwut?
when buying a leo from a breeder you're mostly paying for the breeder's rep and selection ability. the top breeders have a huge selection of animals to choose from and as such should be producing higher quality animals than someone that has only one male to work with. it's not so much what you see that makes the difference, it's the genetic makeup of the animal that sets pricing as well as how much color the animal has compared to others in the same genetic group

hth
rob

MiamiLeos

i think its all pretty much about who they come from. even if i had a forest green adult emerine leo, i probably couldnt get even half of what RT sells his "green" emerines for.

Keitone

It makes sense that the breeders rep would affect the price, as well as the coloration and patterning of the individual animal. However, sticking with the nova example, isn't a nova a nova? The genetic make up is defined by the animal being a engima raptor. Yes the "quality" of the animal plays a part, but isn't that in its self subjective?

robin

i think its all pretty much about who they come from. even if i had a forest green adult emerine leo, i probably couldnt get even half of what RT sells his "green" emerines for.

depends on how green it is. you would be very surprised if you found out that some breeders by from smaller breeders like you and i.

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
So what is the difference between a $1500 nova and a $150 nova? Or any other morph for that matter.

I definitely see visual differences but leos are so individual anyway how do you tell the difference? In the case of raptors full red eyes are more expensive than snake eyes. Ok, I get that. If the animals all have the same genetics, nova being enigma raptor, and what is considered desirable varies from person to person how can there be such huge price differences?

I think we may have been looking at the same site. If we are, I definitely don't see anything special about that particular leo, and don't get the price. The biggest question in my mind is, will they sell it, and if they do, who the heck bought it, and then WHY?

Anybody can price anything at any price, but it doesn't mean their pricing reflects the actual worth of the thing. Sure, name and quality of the the individual animal make a difference, but 1000% over "market rate" seems a bit much.

I will be going to a show soon where that breeder has a table, and I think I might have this discussion with them, if they're willing to have it. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's morally wrong to ask outrageous amounts for your leos, I just want to hear the rationale behind it.

Keitone

So, will a low end gecko produce only or more low end geckos? Or is it that individual gecko merely does not show exceptional characteristics of that particular morph. Therefore it could produce higher quality offspring.

Magic Merlin

I think we may have been looking at the same site. If we are, I definitely don't see anything special about that particular leo, and don't get the price. The biggest question in my mind is, will they sell it, and if they do, who the heck bought it, and then WHY?

Anybody can price anything at any price, but it doesn't mean their pricing reflects the actual worth of the thing. Sure, name and quality of the the individual animal make a difference, but 1000% over "market rate" seems a bit much.

I will be going to a show soon where that breeder has a table, and I think I might have this discussion with them, if they're willing to have it. Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's morally wrong to ask outrageous amounts for your leos, I just want to hear the rationale behind it.

Well said Kevin!! I would much rather sell 10 geckos for 150.00 each than sell 1 for 1500 mainly cause I would gain 10 new happy customers and the potential to sell to their friends also.

robin

So, will a low end gecko produce only or more low end geckos? Or is it that individual gecko merely does not show exceptional characteristics of that particular morph. Therefore it could produce higher quality offspring.

basically, yes. i am not talking about QUALITY. i am talking about "lower end geckos" but if you see a trait you like in a "lower end gecko", like a big spots or lavender color or pastel yellow color you can line breed for that trait to try and get geckos with the trait you like. generally breeders breed the best of what they hatch to each other or an equally as nice or nicer animal to try and produce babies as nice or nicer than the parents.

but remember "low end" is relative. what is "low end" to one person is not "low end" to another.

also do not confuse "low end" with quality. they are two completely different things.

Keitone

but remember "low end" is relative. what is "low end" to one person is not "low end" to another.

also do not confuse "low end" with quality. they are two completely different things.

How would you define "low end" and quality in terms of geckos?

robin

quality is the health, how it is taken care of etc

a "low end gecko" is just a lower end morph. maybe high yellows versus super hypo tangerine carrot tail baldy.

some people can have "low end" quality geckos and some people can have "high end" poor quality geckos.

Keitone

quality is the health, how it is taken care of etc

a "low end gecko" is just a lower end morph. maybe high yellows versus super hypo tangerine carrot tail baldy.

some people can have "low end" quality geckos and some people can have "high end" poor quality geckos.

So assuming high quality how can we explain the differences in price of the same morph?

Last edited:

Magic Merlin

So assuming high quality how can we explain the differences in price of the same morph?

What someone choses to list their geckos for on their website is not necessarily what they actually sell them for behind closed doors......making nice with the breeder will usually result in a big discount. I have friends that will sell some of their highest quality animals to close non-breeder friends for dirt cheap to raise with the agreement that they get to comeback later to breed the animals the following year......kindof like stud service for dogs....they keep pick of the litter and split the profits on the rest...win win for everyone.

Visit our friends