High end vs Low end

robin

So High or Low end is the rarity or commonness of the morph, but quality how the particular gecko "rates" within that morph?

yes, generally. the quality is how it rates as far as it's health, weight. how well it has been taken care of. what condition it is in.

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
What someone choses to list their geckos for on their website is not necessarily what they actually sell them for behind closed doors......making nice with the breeder will usually result in a big discount. I have friends that will sell some of their highest quality animals to close non-breeder friends for dirt cheap to raise with the agreement that they get to comeback later to breed the animals the following year......kindof like stud service for dogs....they keep pick of the litter and split the profits on the rest...win win for everyone.

Which is why I need to find myself a breeder to be buddy buddy with...

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
Something also to consider while purchasing a middle/higher end enigma morphs...like the nova...is that they may express some enigma symptoms. When purchasing any enigma you should always verify that the gecko does not express these negative traits. This also is why some of these morphs cost less. People will post them at cheap prices and all it takes is the one person who thinks they cant pass up the deal...next thing they know is they have a gecko that cant breed. A $150 pet who will need assistance its whole life.

Magic Merlin

Something also to consider while purchasing a middle/higher end enigma morphs...like the nova...is that they may express some enigma symptoms.....and all it takes is the one person who thinks they cant pass up the deal...next thing they know is they have a gecko that cant breed. A $150 pet who will need assistance its whole life.

Very very good point when referrencing enigmas.......my previous contribution was referring at all geckos in general. :banana:

Gregg M

Registered Member
Also keep in mind that a reputable breeder is not always a large scale breeder... And a large scale breeder is not always a reputable one...

Here is my take on the pricing thing...
I buy my animals based on health condition, and actual looks... Their genetic backround is the last thing I look at... In fact, I personally do not like the look of NOVAS so I would never even buy one no matter how cheap it is...

I would however pay a lot of money for a really high end Super Hypo Tangerine Carrot tail Baldy... It is my all time favorite morph in Leopard geckos and breeders like Kelli, JMG, TUG, have made them rediculously beautiful and well worth what they are asking for them even though you can get a low to mid end one for cheap...

So basically a seller can only sell thier animals for what the buyers are willing to pay...

Northstar Herp

Rhacs and Uros, oh boy!!!
Also keep in mind that a reputable breeder is not always a large scale breeder... And a large scale breeder is not always a reputable one...

Here is my take on the pricing thing...
I buy my animals based on health condition, and actual looks... Their genetic backround is the last thing I look at... In fact, I personally do not like the look of NOVAS so I would never even buy one no matter how cheap it is...

I would however pay a lot of money for a really high end Super Hypo Tangerine Carrot tail Baldy... It is my all time favorite morph in Leopard geckos and breeders like Kelli, JMG, TUG, have made them rediculously beautiful and well worth what they are asking for them even though you can get a low to mid end one for cheap...

So basically a seller can only sell thier animals for what the buyers are willing to pay...

Makes perfect sense to me.

Visit our friends