How do they see..?

• Thread starter iheartleopardgeko1
  • Start date
I

iheartleopardgeko1

how do the leopard geckos see? like black and white? or like snake?

thanks!

IHLG:2thumbsup:

Khrysty

I really don't know. I've always assumed they see color, actually, but a limited spectrum. I have no actual proof to back that up, though.

Srt14292

Est; 1992
I would have thought they can see, but have a very sharp eye almost tunnel vision for focusing on movement, just a guess/

Seahorse

There's so many sites that say they can't see red light but then I stumbled on this:

Some nocturnal geckos lack the red-sensitive cone, but their green-sensitive cone also responds to red light; they can
certainly see it. Studies have even shown that some use their cone types for color vision in light similar to dim moonlight.
Thus it is possible that “moonlight blue” or “red night light” lamps, which usually are much brighter than moonlight, alter these
animals’ view of the twilight world."

Hmm...
Definitely something I'll be looking into further.

GeckoGathering

GrizLaru
Leopard gecko sight

Here is a good article, it is the first one. http://www.wonderquest.com/reptiles-flu-gravitons.htm

Hi.
I had been doing a little testing on leopard
gecko sight.
Pertaining to color and
possible non acceptance or fear
of certain colors.
This was forwarded to me by Dr. Biology
web site........
Thought it might add to the other info.
Take care. Hj

Greetings H. J.:
This is an interesting question. Virtually every
animal can see some color. However, the number of
colors and strength of color vision varies among
different species. Vertebrate eyes have two types
of photo receptors: cones and rods. Cones work
best in bright light and allow for the perception
of color. Rods function in dim light and are
used for night vision. Most nocturnal have no
cones or just a few. Geckos are an interesting
case because even though many geckos are
nocturnal, they have very large cones. Thus
allowing geckos to see color in dim moonlight
when humans would be colorblind. In fact, gecko
cone sensitivity to color has been calculated to
be 350 times higher than human cone sensitivity to color.

I have attached an article that I found on gecko color vision:
Roth, L. S. V., Lundstršm, L., Kelber, A.,
Kršger, R. H. H., & Unsbo, P. (2009). The pupils
and optical systems of gecko eyes. Journal of
Vision, 9(3):27, 111, http://journalofvision.org/9/3/27/, doi:10.1167/9.3.27.

Sincerely,
Dr. Biology

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
Here's what i don't get and don't think i EVER will...

How can ANYONE honestly make an answer on that and know for certain, or *most* animals for that matter...? I mean seriously...? The only way someone can know for sure what a gecko sees like is by askin it, and it speaking the answer to you, lol... and last time i checked, none of mine had a voice box, lol...

I mean, i know that with some birds, and mammals (like apes, chimps, etc) can see color, and they can positively say that for a fact with 100% certainty because they can teach them to point our colors n other stuff like that. For example, the guy will say "point to the color red" and the monkey/ape/chimp/bird/etc will point to the color red.

...But you can't do this with a leopard gecko. lmao

So, yeah, i just don't understand how someone can come up with that kind of assumption, lol

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
I know they cant see the red infrared light.

...But seriously... How do you REALLY know...?!?! ...Because you read it on another website about gecko care, or on a breeder's site under the "care sheet" page? And those people prolly came to "know" of it by the same way themselves.

The only way that someone could REALLY TRULY know is by asking a gecko if they see red light or not...

...and i read the whole thing about the cones and rods (thanks for the link, and input H.J.!)... but how can we EVER know that the cones and rods that are in a reptile's eyes (specifically geckos, in this case) work the same way that they cones and rods work in our eyes? How can we know with certainty that they serve the same purpose, and that their cones and rods in their eyes don't do something completely different than our cones and rods? lol

serialzombie

Ἴκαρος
...But seriously... How do you REALLY know...?!?! ...Because you read it on another website about gecko care, or on a breeder's site under the "care sheet" page? And those people prolly came to "know" of it by the same way themselves.

The only way that someone could REALLY TRULY know is by asking a gecko if they see red light or not...

...and i read the whole thing about the cones and rods (thanks for the link, and input H.J.!)... but how can we EVER know that the cones and rods that are in a reptile's eyes (specifically geckos, in this case) work the same way that they cones and rods work in our eyes? How can we know with certainty that they serve the same purpose, and that their cones and rods in their eyes don't do something completely different than our cones and rods? lol

By assuming that the same body parts/organs have the same function in most every vertebrate on Earth?

All hearts serve the same function, and until indicated otherwise, to assume that all cones/rods serve the same function isn't a bad assumption to work under.

Additionally, just because one cannot ask a gecko whether or not it can experience certain things, does not mean that you can not test whether or not it can.

If one cared to, I'm sure one could map brain activity while exposing geckos to specific wavelengths of visible (and hell, invisible to human) light. Visual centers fire, it can sense it. They don't, more likely than not, they can't.

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
All hearts serve the same function, and until indicated otherwise, to assume that all cones/rods serve the same function isn't a bad assumption to work under.

Exactly. However, how do we know that their cones and rods in their eyes see the same things we see. I mean come on, seriously. You gotta look at it realistically. A gecko's eyes do not look like our eyes, and our eyes do not look like theirs. So to say that their eyes work the same as ours is rediculous to say, cuz no1 can ever know that. Period.

What i meant by us not knowing if a gecko's cone and rods serve the same function, i didn't mean in the sense that they pick up light, etc etc... what i meant was exactly what function they serve (what colors of light they pick up, what exactly they are there for, etc etc...). <~ does that make sense? lol

Visit our friends