how many years of leopard gecko experance do u have???

how many years have u been working with leopard geckos

• Total voters

Samantha

how many years have U been working with leopard geckos and what are the top 5 things u have learned so far???

Samantha

i have been working with leopard geckos for less then a year and i the top 5 things i hae learned is that
1. repti carpet or tile works best and DO NOT USE SAND
2. geckos all eat in different ways and like different foods
3. some geckos like to be held more then others
5. checking the tanks temp is verry important

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
I have only had Leos for a few months, but I have many years of experience with other herps, primarily frogs and snakes.

The biggest thing I've learned is that there is a lot of overlapping knowledge between different herps, so you can learn a lot by studying animals besides the ones you keep.

Samantha

yeah i had anoles when i was younger and i have two 3 ft. ball pythons that will breed eventally a babie corn snake an 8 year old iguana that we got recentaly and a baby iguana too

Samantha

thats only my exocit pets lol i have 3 adult leo females one adult male leo and a juvie sex unknown leo

robin

about eleven years with reptiles in general, snake; boas, milks, kingsnakes, pythons, asian rats, hognose, false water cobras, copperheads :smitten: a few different gecko species, beardies, a couple of frogs and leopard geckos for about 5 years now, maybe longer. i can't remember hehe

Samantha

i was just wondering how many years ppls have under their belts im new to leos but they seem no harder then my iguanas or pythons so i like them and they are easyer to hold then my iguanas lol

Dama682

Cautious Gecko Firsttimer
About... 29 hours.

:D

1) Juvenile Leos do not like me.
2) Juvenile Leos cannot eat more than 3 medium-sized mealworms.
3) Juvenile Leos can sleep in very strange positions
4) Geckos can hiss.
5) Some bites don't actually hurt.

Samantha

wow

About... 29 hours.

:D

1) Juvenile Leos do not like me.
2) Juvenile Leos cannot eat more than 3 medium-sized mealworms.
3) Juvenile Leos can sleep in very strange positions
4) Geckos can hiss.
5) Some bites don't actually hurt.

thats funny i know i found out that geckos hiss when mad with in my first couple weeks with my gecko....if u leave the new additions alone for a week or so they are more willing to let u hold them

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
About 8 years. The most important thing I have learnt is that females will not eat for months when they ovulate; so, as pets I prefer keeping all males.

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Coming up on my 8th year with leos, been keeping reptiles for 15 years or so, breeding various species for 12 years.

Top five things I've learned about leopard geckos:

1) Every gecko is different. Whether it be feeding preference, activity level, or just general personality, each animal is an individual and its care should be tweaked to suit it's preferences.
2) The leopard gecko market is ridiculous. If you are going to breed, you need to be prepared to keep ALL your hatchlings, in case you can't sell/find a home for them.
3) Take care of your females. They are the building block of any project, and must be treated with the upmost care and attention. Laying eggs takes a lot of work, and in the end, no matter how much you are doing, they are the ones pulling the most weight.
4) Genetic "buzzwords" can be misleading. Be careful about labeling morphs.
5) Stick with it. This hobby can be trying, expensive, time-consuming, and stressful, but in the end I feel it's all worth it to look in that incubator and see something spectacular.

Last edited:

robin

things i have learned

1) pay attention to the more experienced keepers and breeders.
2) don't think you will ever know it all
3) if you have a secret project, chances are there are several others working on the exact same thing as you.
4) pay attention to your geckos, watch them so you can notice changes right away
5) if in doubt incubate
6) chances are you will NOT make money from this, especially now because of the economy. so enjoy your geckos. if you are in it for the money, get out now.

i got a whole list of things i could add LOL

Samantha

all top 5's have very good advice and thats the main reason i created this thread was so i can learn form all u pros out there

Visit our friends