How much "tang color" on tail before you classify it a carrot tail?

Double D

Just a question I've been pondering on. Please give me your insight on this matter. I was thinking it should be at least 3/4 of the tail. But i've seen some people around with some leos calling them carrot tail and it will just have a liittle color at the base of the tail. I also think the tang coloring should be vibrant not dull. Let me know what you all think. Post pics of all your carrot tails, that will be great also.

cassadaga

Oregon Rainwater
In my opinion, it's not necassarily how much there is, but how it is expressed. A lot of geckos have yellow or light orange bleeding in to there tails that have nothing to do with true "carrot tail" genes. True carrot tails have extremely bright orange on the base of their tails, and there are rarely black spots in the orange. It's easy to tell when a gecko has true carrot tail genes, and for me even 15% or so would be a low grade carrot tail if it came from those lines.

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
Yep, this is true, atleast 15% of the tail must be carrot tail to call it carrot tail. And yes, i agree with cassdaga in the fact that i see these as a low grade carrot tail aswell... Nice carrot tails to me are atleast like 50% or more. Don't think i would ever buy one that was only 15% CT, and if i ever hatched one that low, i'd deff. sell it and wouldn't hold it back, lol

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Actually, a TRUE carrot-tail is a morph in itself. It was developed by Ray Hine in the UK several years ago, and the originals were not very orange in their body color at all. In fact, they looked more like pale ghosts with no pattern, but all had amazing orange tails...this the term 'carrot-tail'. Today, the majority of SHT's have a percentage of the original Ray Hine morph, but we seem to have forgotten (or didn't even know about) the fact that it is an actual line-bred morph.

Today, it's close to impossible, (except maybe for Albey and a few others), to claim just ANY gecko with a lot of orange at the base of it's tail is a carrot-tail. This is not the case. However, by standard definition, if a gecko has 15% or more solid orange at the base of it's tail with NO black markings it could be accepted as a carrot-tail.

Kristi23

Ghoulish Geckos
I have a pure CT from Albey. She's very light in color.

DSC_3890.jpg

Sometimes she's even lighter.:main_yes:

StatikStepz

www.ThePerfectGecko.com
Actually, a TRUE carrot-tail is a morph in itself. It was developed by Ray Hine in the UK several years ago, and the originals were not very orange in their body color at all. In fact, they looked more like pale ghosts with no pattern, but all had amazing orange tails...this the term 'carrot-tail'. Today, the majority of SHT's have a percentage of the original Ray Hine morph, but we seem to have forgotten (or didn't even know about) the fact that it is an actual line-bred morph.

Today, it's close to impossible, (except maybe for Albey and a few others), to claim just ANY gecko with a lot of orange at the base of it's tail is a carrot-tail. This is not the case. However, by standard definition, if a gecko has 15% or more solid orange at the base of it's tail with NO black markings it could be accepted as a carrot-tail.

+1! Agreed!

Many people these days call it a carrot tail just because it has some orange on the tail, however this isn't the case. Kinda the same with Raptors that have pattern, lmao

B

BioWorkZ

+1! Agreed!

Many people these days call it a carrot tail just because it has some orange on the tail, however this isn't the case. Kinda the same with Raptors that have pattern, lmao

I happen to have a raptor with pattern. What should she be labeled as?

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
I happen to have a raptor with pattern. What should she be labeled as?
The original Tremper hybinos were created by none other than Ray Hine in the UK... the same guy that developed the carrot-tail. He crossed Tremper albinos with hypo carrot-tails, and produced the first HY(hypo)BINO(albino). So, in my opinion, any Tremper albino, including RAPTORs, that have a significant amount of carrot-tail qualifies as a 'carrot-tail'.

Double D

I have a nice tang het raptor that I will post a pic of as soon as she sheds. She has some bright orange in her tail. You all can tell me what you think of her. Carrot tail? I got her from Adam (GeckoEuphoria), I think he told me she had some electric tang blood lines in her. I could be wrong but I think that is what he said. Maybe he'll post on here and tell her lines more precisouly. She should shed in the next day or so.

Gecko Euphoria

It can have black in the tail it was just said that the base should be with no black and some have the bleeding through the base I've seen lots of true carrot tails I've seen unless fully carrot colored tail or an albino carrot tail have black spots on the ends. Honestly the more orange on the tail the more carrot tail it has!!!!

So no black in the tail?

Double D

Here is my tang. Tell me what you all think. Carrot Tail? I say so. Just my opinion though.
100_0475.jpg

100_0472.jpg

More color comes into tail after every shed. :main_thumbsup:

Visit our friends