How to house male and female??

freshprince2146

Alright guys i have one male leopard gecko now 55 grams and i am getting a adult female sometime this week. I was wondering if i could keep them together permanently or would i have to separate them sometimes??

They would be in a 40 gallon long tank.

And i am also prepared if they were to breed.

Thanks if you can help.:main_thumbsup:

robin

i would keep them separated except during breeding season. remember you are adding a new gecko to your home and you need to quarantine her from the male for 60 days :)

spykerherps

-sssSpyker ExoticSsss-
Yes quarantine.
If you do keep them together the female is very liable to be pestered buy the male. Given too much "attention" and it WILL stress her out. keep em separate.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It really depends on the male and the female. I generally keep my breeders in 1.2 or 1.3 and prefer to do this during the entire breeding season (Jan-Oct). Due to an unusually successful breeding season, I haven't been able to clear enough tank space till recently. One of my 3 breeding males is separate, and the other 2 will be separated this weekend when I sell some more geckos. In addition, I have a male I do not breed permanently in with a female (who hides in her magnet hide all the time) who probably doesn't ovulate anymore. This has not been a problem. I did have a different retired breeder in with this male and he pestered her so I separated them.

Get your new gecko, quarantine her, introduce her and see how it goes.

ALiza

T-ReXx

Uroplatus Fanatic
Be prepared to keep them seperately. If you are prepared for breeding and have space for hatchlings you have space for two adult cages.

Visit our friends