Humidity Help

tenaya627

Hello! I am purchasing a leopard gecko in about a week. I know that humidity should be kept somewhere around 25-40%. However, the humidity in my house is 65% . I put a sock filled with rice in my enclosure, I have a ventilated tank, and I moved the water bowl to the cool side, but the humidity is still much too high and I don’t want my gecko to develop respiratory problems. I’ve considered buying a dehumidifier, but I have one question. If I put the dehumidifier outside the terrarium, will it still lower the humidity inside the tank? Any advice would be helpful!!! Thank you so much.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
Hi tenaya! Thanks for joining! Can you tell us what state or province and country you live in?
I'm sure you will be able to keep your gecko just fine without a dehumidifier. It is something to keep in mind but the microclimate of his tank can be much different than what it is outside. I would rely on the advice of the person you will be getting the gecko from as they likely live in the same climate as you.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I live in New England and don't have AC. In the winter the humidity is very low because of the forced hot air heat. In the summer, it can get very high. I don't worry about it. Everyone has been fine for the last 17 years.

Aliza

Visit our friends