I have a problem with superworm!!

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
These 2 days, I had been hearing a faint scratching sound inside one of my geckos tank, I thought a super got out of the feeding dish; so I dismantled everything but couldn't find it. This morning, I heard it again, but this time I saw a bit of cork bark dust on the floor...I found it, but it has chewed its way into one of my best piece of cork bark flat and I couldn't get it out!!

I don't want it to die inside (so can't soak the wood) and I don't want to damage the cork bark. Any idea how I can get it out?? I think it has chewed a tunnel at least 6" long and hiding deep inside the cork bark. I can hear rattling sound when I shake it. :main_angry:

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
RaiQuee said:
Have you just tried repeadidly tapping it on something? He's gotta lose his grip sooner or later.. lol

Yup, I tried tapping it at all angles, I also tried dripping water into the hole. Now the rattling sound has moved from one end to the other...I'm amazed how far this worm has chewed into the wood (wishful thinking is that it might chew its way through and come out the other end)...

Now, I put a piece of carrot near the entrance hole, I hope it'll come out for it.

Robin, I hate superworm beetles too!!

J

Jedi Master Bruce

Please weigh this option carefully as betadine is poisonous to some reptiles:

I have had great success getting maggots of several kinds to leave abscesses they have dug into turtles and tortoises. Maggots hate betadine. They come racing out of the holes they make in the host when betadine (povidone iodine) is applied. Maybe this will work on superworms?

robin

oh no i dont think betadine would be so good. if the carrot doesnt work try a potatoe

Gregg M

Registered Member
If it is going into hiding to pupate, it will not be looking for a meal at this point.... Carrots or potatos will be useless.... Wait for it to become a beetle and then you will be able to get it out of the cage....

Then again, it might just be getting out of the open and doing what they do in nature.... Burrowing....

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
Woohoo!! I got it out! I don't know if the carrot helped, but at one point the worm got near the entrance hole (I spotted light reflection off its skin), I used a long pin and a pair of tweezer, and got it!! Phew! :main_evilgrin:

I can still hear a rattling sound when I shake the cork bark, I think the damn worm shed inside it...I hope it won't burn when I bake the cork bark next time.

robin

if it does burn well it's ok at least its not the worm and you do not have any superworm beetles :)

by the way how long do you take your cork bark for and at what temps?

gothra

Happy Gecko Family
I scrub and wash with detergent water first, rinse then wrap in foil. Then I bake it at 180 degrees for 50 minutes.

Visit our friends