I Need Some Help With Morphs

pastey_white

I currently have five leopard geckos, and I want to breed in the future, but I've read the breeding basics and since I don't know the morphs/wasn't told the morphs, I am unsure.
What I do know is that my first gecko is some sort of Albino, that is what she was advertised as, just a Albino. After that, my four new babies I am unsure about since it slipped my mind to ask the previous owner(s) if they knew the morphs of the geckos. So I come here to ask for help since I'd like to know in general what I have.
FYI, I will be using pictures from the listings on some of the geckos since I haven't taken any (good) pictures of them myself.

Albino Female:

New Leopard Geckos-

Males
:

Females:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
Yes, the first gecko is an albino, though there's no way to know what strain. Otherwise:

Males: high yellow (i.e. normal with reduced spotting but not reduced enough to be a hypo)
tangerine (not enough orange on tail to be a carrot tail)

Females: normal, possibly het for blizzard due to the speckling
high yellow (see above)

Here's the problem with breeding: even though there's no health issue with breeding these geckos, the fact that you have no idea what strain of albino your original one is, and no idea if any of the other geckos have genes for recessive traits, no reputable breeder would want any of the offspring. That's because you won't be able to tell what genetics they're carrying. This is especially a problem with the albino since you could end up with offspring that have genes for 2 different albino strain and it all gets very messy and muddy. The gecko hobby honestly doesn't need further muddying of the genetic waters. The most ethical solution is to obtain some breeders of known genetics and breed them. If you feel strongly that you must breed your current geckos, I would strongly advise against breeding the albino at all. You could consider getting a blizzard male to breed to the speckled female and see if you get any blizzard offspring.

Aliza

pastey_white

Yes, the first gecko is an albino, though there's no way to know what strain. Otherwise:

Males: high yellow (i.e. normal with reduced spotting but not reduced enough to be a hypo)
tangerine (not enough orange on tail to be a carrot tail)

Females: normal, possibly het for blizzard due to the speckling
high yellow (see above)

Here's the problem with breeding: even though there's no health issue with breeding these geckos, the fact that you have no idea what strain of albino your original one is, and no idea if any of the other geckos have genes for recessive traits, no reputable breeder would want any of the offspring. That's because you won't be able to tell what genetics they're carrying. This is especially a problem with the albino since you could end up with offspring that have genes for 2 different albino strain and it all gets very messy and muddy. The gecko hobby honestly doesn't need further muddying of the genetic waters. The most ethical solution is to obtain some breeders of known genetics and breed them. If you feel strongly that you must breed your current geckos, I would strongly advise against breeding the albino at all. You could consider getting a blizzard male to breed to the speckled female and see if you get any blizzard offspring.

Aliza
Thank you, and I read about the albino breeding. With her, I'd love to breed her since she is my baby and I'd love to see little Splix's, but since I don't know the exact strain of albino, and she was also quite cheap, I see the reasons to avoid breeding her.

pastey_white

Oh, also, my friend is almost certain that Rex(the tangerine) is actually a raptor, which is another reason I posted because I wanted another opinion.
My friend said something about his eyes, which this isn't the best picture since it's a little fuzzy, but again, I was looking for another opinion.

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's hard to tell from the picture. If the eyes have a black pupil in the middle, surrounded by olive green with some red veins, it isn't a raptor. I can tell that the eyes are not solid red. However, if the gecko seems to have half a whitish eye and half a greenish eye, that's a form of the eclipse gene called "snake eyes" and it does mean your gecko is a Raptor. Google "snake eye leopard gecko" and look at the pictures.

Aliza

pastey_white

It's hard to tell from the picture. If the eyes have a black pupil in the middle, surrounded by olive green with some red veins, it isn't a raptor. I can tell that the eyes are not solid red. However, if the gecko seems to have half a whitish eye and half a greenish eye, that's a form of the eclipse gene called "snake eyes" and it does mean your gecko is a Raptor. Google "snake eye leopard gecko" and look at the pictures.

Aliza
Thank you, I will do that. I'm just trying to understand what all I have going on morph wise cause it's always fun to know in my opinion.

Visit our friends