Ignorant nonsense - a fish story.

animeavatar

I <3 Mu Mu!!
Just because an animal seems happy and that blah doesn't mean they are. Animals can hide their pain really well. As a responsible pet owner you should spend every penny you need to to make that animals life the best it can be. My cat is lying down and being affectionate right now. I don't know if he is in pain or not. All I know is that he has kidney disease.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
I know this forums a few weeks old. But I feel your pain.
Fish people can be real a-holes.
We'll warn each other at the store if someones a 'salt guy' or 'pond person'.
They tend to be the worst.

Dimidiata

I know this forums a few weeks old. But I feel your pain.
Fish people can be real a-holes.

Holy hell i joined a salt forum once. Yikes. The language and attitude they would allow was ridiculous(not to mention the guys thought i was a girl and started hitting on me, of course my age or gender wasn't displayed). Now Ive met a ton of cool people who do salts(like you) but it seems to be the worst of them all run into me, their Superior because they have a mini ocean in their living room. Then again, Betta people suck sometimes too, its both ways with some of us. The people who come for help can suck because they get stubborn but we seem like meanies because we tell them that they have been treating their animal that they love so much wrong. Its all about wording and understanding though. Ive met plenty of people who realized and then took advice on how to change the situation positively. But we all know when we run into that 1 rare jack wagon.

andrew5859

Hats Off Exotics
their Superior because they have a mini ocean in their living room.

This.

I cant tell you how many times I have talked to someone about fish and it goes like this "oh yea I have a 55gallon freshwater tank." "Oh thats nice I have a 150 Gallon saltwater tank" then I get talked down to from there.

I LOVE saltwater fish but I would not get a tank until I knew it would be something nice that I would enjoy and have the time for.

I totally agree about the betas in unsuitable living conditions. I get mad every time I see a beta in a small glass bowl with one bamboo plant in the middle.

You should see the cichlid people :main_rolleyes: haha On cichlid forums if they want their point noticed they get it across.

animeavatar

I <3 Mu Mu!!
I know an aquarium place that give their bettas nice big tanks. I would like to buy one from them but they are a bit far...

ZombiGecko

DragonGecko
Some people you just cant reason with no matter how much you argue with them :/. Its sad. I love my fish and it gets me pretty mad when people dont treat water and all that stuff right for the fish

Dimidiata

The other issue im having is that they claim garlic is a magic fix. Its used for stress, internal parasites, external parasites, parasite prevention, imune system boost and general appitite inducer(the only thing its EVER been proven to do). Then when i offer someone the advice to add some salt to their bettas tank to help keep its wounds clean i get jumped on. I mean seriously???? Aquarium salt has LONG been used in keeping water clean during times of the fish being sick. You dont add enough to make the water brakish just a little to help keep open sores clean and kill off parasites. Ive used it plenty with fin rot and have had great sucess. Meanwhile i tried garlic with parasites and nothing after 2 weeks, it was all the same. They refused to listen to me insisting i didnt feed them garlic right.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
The other issue im having is that they claim garlic is a magic fix. Its used for stress, internal parasites, external parasites, parasite prevention, imune system boost and general appitite inducer(the only thing its EVER been proven to do). Then when i offer someone the advice to add some salt to their bettas tank to help keep its wounds clean i get jumped on. I mean seriously???? Aquarium salt has LONG been used in keeping water clean during times of the fish being sick. You dont add enough to make the water brakish just a little to help keep open sores clean and kill off parasites. Ive used it plenty with fin rot and have had great sucess. Meanwhile i tried garlic with parasites and nothing after 2 weeks, it was all the same. They refused to listen to me insisting i didnt feed them garlic right.

Raising salinity in fresh, and dropping salinity in salt CAN help with parasites like 'ich'. Garlic can also help with ich. The problem with fish keeping is that somethings work for some people, and not for others. Theres no right or wrong. I hear all the time "Ive never done a water change and my fish lived for over a year". Its hard to explain to people why this is less than ideal when theyve seen it work. Take my advice and dont let 'fish people' get to you. Stick with what works for you.

katie_

Wonder Reptiles
I know an aquarium place that give their bettas nice big tanks. I would like to buy one from them but they are a bit far...

Its hard to keep bettas in their own individual 20 gallon. You can add one to each of your other tanks, but a lot of fish (including tetras) will rip a betta apart. If you run a business of selling ornimental fish, you cant use 20 tanks just for bettas.
We keep ours in larger cups, and do water changes every other day. Its only temporary, and we always recommend the best environment for future betta owners. We sell close to sixty bettas a week, theyre not in cups for very long.

animeavatar

I <3 Mu Mu!!
They are healthy and active compared to my local chain stores that have them in cups( one is better than the other). The store that is no good fills the cup like halfway or less and there is a bright light shining down on them.

stager

I was in a local fish store watching a guy and his family picking out around ten marine fish and a rose BTA and telling the owner his nitrates where over 40 and amonia threw the roof. He had started the tank six months ago and filled it the first day and strangly everything died after a few weeks except a maroon clown. Never been back since I put the owner in his place but the idiot still bought the fish!

Visit our friends