I'm the new Drum Major!

Stitchex

I'm still in disbelief! We had tryouts, and I traded first(we had to pick numbers out of a cup to see who got first) with one of my friends. I get nervous if I wait too long, so I just bit the bullet and did it right then and there. I only started studying for it the night before, seeing that I tried out last year, too. I made mistakes, but apparentally my music teacher thought I was the person for the job:D- and got the highest score. So, I get to conduct the whole band at the Christmas parade and a few concerts, and I get a cool uniform! White, with gold lining. I'm nervous when it comes to walking backwards, though. Does anyone have any tips while I'm walking backwards along the street, conducting the band, and trying to avoid horse poo? I feel so nervous and happy at the same time:main_laugh:

JordanAng420

CONGRATULATIONS Mary!
I was Drum Major in high school as well, and I loved it.
Let me give you a word of advice...when you're out there conducting...DON'T LOCK YOUR KNEES. You will pass out COLD. Trust me. It's no fun when YOU'RE the halftime show, being driven away in an ambulance. Keep your knees bent! But most importantly dude, have a BLAST! It's truly a rush being up on that podium doing your thing. Hey, make sure someone takes pictures at your next game, I would really love to see them!

JordanAng420

Oh yeah, and as far as walking backward, pace yourself. At first, you will feel the urge to rush...this is mostly due to nerves and eventually subsides. But make sure you watch your band, and the pace they're at...

Keep their attention by being unpredictable...make sure they are ALWAYS watching you and test them to be sure they are.

There might be times when band members come to YOU instead of the director. In fact, most of them will feel more comfortable complaining to YOU about stuff. Make sure you have a good relationship with your band director and be able to communicate things that the band has an opinion about. YOU are their voice most of the time.

And as for avoiding poop...well...wear thick shoes. ;)

Stitchex

We have a football game tomorrow, although it'll be the teacher conducting it- he just picked the D.M today. I'll see if my dad can get some pictures for you^^. How would I walk backwards and stay in the middle of the road, just keep looking over my shoulder? I also have to get the band in their lines before the teacher comes out onto the track for practices, do you have any tips for that?

Thank you, Maia!!

Did you have to be driven off by an ambulance before? xD

BGalloway

If you're in a road just look at the center line in front of you, if you notice you're veering off just move over a little. Practive walking backwards whenever you can, its good exercise and eventually you'll be able to walk a straight line backwards by noticing things in front of you :).

To get the band in line just be authorotative, you wouldn't have been selected as drum major if the band director didn't trust you to lead.

erik

Gecko Newbie
great! I played in a showband for six years, so much fun! Unfortunately we don't do 'high school' bands here in the Netherlands. There is a lot of competition throughout the country though.

Most important for a D.M. is to be very secure. Nothing's worse than a DM who doesn't give clear signals :) So rather give a wrong signal than half a signal! :) Good luck with it!

Visit our friends