Is my gecko impacted???

YellowGecko_91

I'm worried my leopard gecko might potentially be impacted. While he is eating regularly and seems to be active enough, I haven't seen a lot of poops in his enclosure over the past month and I caught him licking his vent at one point last week. While handling him today, I noticed that he had a small dark blue spot on his belly and I can't tell whether thats just his organs or blocked food.

Attachments

• IMG-6044.jpg
    IMG-6044.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG-6044.jpg
    IMG-6044.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG-6045.jpg
    IMG-6045.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-6048.jpg
    IMG-6048.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 1
Last edited:

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I don't think that means impaction. What substrate is your gecko on? Is it possible that it's pooping in a new location? To be absolutely sure, you could give it a drop of vegetable or mineral oil on the nose for it to lick off in case the insides need "greasing".

Aliza

YellowGecko_91

I don't think that means impaction. What substrate is your gecko on? Is it possible that it's pooping in a new location? To be absolutely sure, you could give it a drop of vegetable or mineral oil on the nose for it to lick off in case the insides need "greasing".

Aliza
I have him on ZooMed Reptisoil

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I haven't had any problems the few times I've kept leopard geckos on that type of substrate. If you've noticed droppings that are full of the substrate it could be a problem. Also, on that kind of substrate, it may be that the poops are hard to find.

Aliza

Visit our friends