Just felt like posting some pics......

slayer

DSC05302.jpg

DSC05291.jpg
:main_cool3:

erik

Gecko Newbie
Hey slayer, nice looking gecko.

Have you taken into consideration that everything you put into your gecko's tank needs to be sterilized before putting it in? Outside leaves carry lots of bacteria and mold that could seriously be life threatening to your wonderful gecko. Maybe you could have a look around on the forum to see how many people have set up their tanks!

Welcome to the forum anyway, many people come to your digital doorstep here to help you out on great gecko husbandry!

thestack510

Rest In Peace jmlslayer
Welcome to GF. I would ditch the dirt and leaves (or any other loose substrate) in favor of some nice slate or tile. Your gecko can become impacted, which basically means that it won't be able to pass some things if it happens to swallow them, and it can die from it.

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Is it really necessary to do the 'loose substrate is instant death" routine every time somebody posts a pic? Soil is not going to impact a healthy animal.

Welcome to GF, and nice gecko.

biggiy05

Determination
Is it really necessary to do the 'loose substrate is instant death" routine every time somebody posts a pic? Soil is not going to impact a healthy animal.

Welcome to GF, and nice gecko.[/QUOTE

I won't turn this thread into a substrate debate but yes it is necessary. Any LOOSE substrate CAN impact a reptile, healthy or not.

The gecko looks very nice though.

slayer

Hey slayer, nice looking gecko.

Have you taken into consideration that everything you put into your gecko's tank needs to be sterilized before putting it in? Outside leaves carry lots of bacteria and mold that could seriously be life threatening to your wonderful gecko. Maybe you could have a look around on the forum to see how many people have set up their tanks!

Welcome to the forum anyway, many people come to your digital doorstep here to help you out on great gecko husbandry!
.............Ive been keeping and breeding varius herps for 17 years now and i have to disagree. Besides this particular pair has been housed in this manner for over 8 years .

Last edited:

slayer

Welcome to GF. I would ditch the dirt and leaves (or any other loose substrate) in favor of some nice slate or tile. Your gecko can become impacted, which basically means that it won't be able to pass some things if it happens to swallow them, and it can die from it.
....................Impaction is caused by long term low level dehydration. When a reptile is dehydrated it cant crap just like a dehydrated human(constipation)

slayer

Welcome to GF, and nice gecko.
...................:) The voice of common sense. Thank you

slayer

I like the look, but how do you keep the substrate clean? And what exactly kind is it?
..............Its just good clean dirt from the woods. keeping it clean is easy. Pick out any obvious droppings and let the microbes in the soil take care of the rest.

latshki

Breeder in the making
I love it, sand can be bad but good ol dirt will never fail it is only the owner who will fail
I have heard of people using dirt and missing a clutch of eggs only to find some hatchlings in a tank, to me that is awesome, dirt brings out natural behavior in leos

Gregg M

Registered Member
..............Its just good clean dirt from the woods. keeping it clean is easy. Pick out any obvious droppings and let the microbes in the soil take care of the rest.

Finally, someone else who does it like me... LOL
It is even cooler when there are isopods and substrate mites in the soil... They take care of even the large droppings and any fungus and the geckos do not eat them for some reason...

I do a sand soil mix for all the monitors and I have a cool natural set up for a few leos with the same mix...

All natural set ups that I have not scooped poop out of in months, have no smell at all... It is super clean rich soil free of harmful bacteria...

There is no reason what so ever to have to sterilize natural sand, dirt, leaves, sticks, or rocks... If you think about it, these animals live wild and thrive... Why should it be any different here in captivity...

Sticks, rocks, and leaf litter do not carry harmful parasites or disease...
All this, "you cant use loose substrate and everything needs to be boiled or baked before it goes in a cage" stuff is getting old and tired... It is also being spouted with nothing to back up why it is being spouted...

Last edited:

slayer

Finally, someone else who does it like me... LOL
It is even cooler when there are isopods and substrate mites in the soil... They take care of even the large droppings and any fungus and the geckos do not eat them for some reason...

I do a sand soil mix for all the monitors and I have a cool natural set up for a few leos with the same mix...

All natural set ups that I have not scooped poop out of in months, have no smell at all... It is super clean rich soil free of harmful bacteria...

There is no reason what so ever to have to sterilize natural sand, dirt, leaves, sticks, or rocks... If you think about it, these animals live wild and thrive... Why should it be any different here in captivity...

Sticks, rocks, and leaf litter do not carry harmful parasites or disease...
All this, "you cant use loose substrate and everything needs to be boiled or baked before it goes in a cage" stuff is getting old and tired... It is also being spouted with nothing to back up why it is being spouted...
.................................. Thank you Gregg. Ill bump up my post with recent pics of how ive changed their setup around so you can check it out since its a bit different.

P.S. Your care sheet is the best ever!

slayer

I love it, sand can be bad but good ol dirt will never fail it is only the owner who will fail
I have heard of people using dirt and missing a clutch of eggs only to find some hatchlings in a tank, to me that is awesome, dirt brings out natural behavior in leos
........................ Now that would be sooooooo cool. Ive always let the female nest in the soil mix (or decaying plant matter)as opposed to in a "nest box" , but ive had no problem finding the eggs.

Last edited:

Visit our friends