laxative recommendations?

L

leo21

hey,
I'm looking for a laxative recommendation and dosage for a juv. leopard gecko. He's eating still both mealworms and crickets but won't poop. I've been putting him in a warm bath twice a day and giving him a bit of olive oil. Any suggestions would be great

robin

there is not any kind of laxative for geckos. if your gecko is not pooping you may need to visit the vet and get him examined. he could possibly be impacted or something else could be wrong

ajveachster

Plain mineral oil might help. Just make sure you get the kind that is in the health section of the store so you know it is safe to ingest.

Golden Gate Geckos

Mean Old Gecko Lady
Oils like olive oil, corn oil, and other plant-based oils will not work because they will be absorbed in the GI tract. I agree that pure mineral oil might help constipation, but as Robin said, there may be a reason your gecko is not pooping.

Some questions to ask would be:

What are the surface temperatures of the warmest spot in it's enclosure?
What substrate is the gecko on?
How long has it been since it lat defecated?

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
Another thing that i noticed works sometimes...if it is a mild constipation (still passing a little poop and still eating) is soaking them in warm water for a few minutes. I had a ss who the vet said everything was fine but he just would have a hard time going number 2 anytime he would eat more than 3 worms a day. Rack temps in his tub were 93 hot 80 cold and he is on paper towel. everything was how it should be but a little dip in the warm water and he would go to his corner and handle business.

L

leo21

He was impacted a 2 weeks ago, but improved since and began eating but still no poop. I've been soaking him, and the temps in the cage stay in the 90's during the day. I give him a drop of olive oil but how much? Two drops should be enough?

Visit our friends