Leopard gecko pattern

llleopardgecko

Hello! I recently bought a leopard gecko, and she seems to be doing well. I was doing some research and and came across phasing which I understand to be the gecko's pattern. I was hoping somebody could maybe explain it and help me try to identify mine.
Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20210314_122427595.jpg
    IMG_20210314_122427595.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I have to say, I've never heard the term "phasing" used for leopard geckos, unless someone is writing about the different developmental phases. Most leopard geckos hatch with a side to side banded yellow and black pattern. There are exceptions, but since by the looks of yours it falls into that category, we'll stick with that. As the hatchling matures, the black bands break up. In some cases, the black spots migrate all over the body and you end up with a yellow gecko with black spots (which is why they're called "leopard" geckos). In most cases you can still see where the original bands were because of either a cluster of spots or a grayish fading band. In some cases, many or all of the spots disappear. If all the body spots disappear, the gecko is called a "super hypo" (the different looks/patterns of a gecko is more correctly called its "morph"). If 10 or fewer spots remain, it's called a hypo. If there are more than 10 spots, but a lot of yellow shows through, people often call that a "high yellow" (meaning that there's lots of yellow coloring).
Based on the picture, you can see your gecko's 4 original bands and you can see that some of the spotting has migrated to the yellow spaces between the bands. As your gecko matures, you'll find out how much spotting there will eventually be.

Aliza

llleopardgecko

I have to say, I've never heard the term "phasing" used for leopard geckos, unless someone is writing about the different developmental phases. Most leopard geckos hatch with a side to side banded yellow and black pattern. There are exceptions, but since by the looks of yours it falls into that category, we'll stick with that. As the hatchling matures, the black bands break up. In some cases, the black spots migrate all over the body and you end up with a yellow gecko with black spots (which is why they're called "leopard" geckos). In most cases you can still see where the original bands were because of either a cluster of spots or a grayish fading band. In some cases, many or all of the spots disappear. If all the body spots disappear, the gecko is called a "super hypo" (the different looks/patterns of a gecko is more correctly called its "morph"). If 10 or fewer spots remain, it's called a hypo. If there are more than 10 spots, but a lot of yellow shows through, people often call that a "high yellow" (meaning that there's lots of yellow coloring).
Based on the picture, you can see your gecko's 4 original bands and you can see that some of the spotting has migrated to the yellow spaces between the bands. As your gecko matures, you'll find out how much spotting there will eventually be.

Aliza
Thank you for taking the time to answer my question! Your answer really provides some clarity. Thanks!

Visit our friends