Looking into it

dmbfan128

Hey everyone,
I am not completely unfamiliar with leopard geckos but i am looking for some basic information on them. I was originally looking into getting a bearded dragon but i live in a college dorm room and space is limited so a 40 gallon breeder is going to take up a little too much room, so im looking into a leopard gecko as they do not need a tank quite as big. I was wondering if they like to be handled and are friendly? My friend had one when he was young but it did not like to be handled very much. Are they easier to take care of than a bearded dragon? And what are some things i should know before i purchase one?

Thanks!
Ben

erik

Gecko Newbie
Hey Ben, I'd say: have a read on this forum. I think you can find the answers to all of your questions by using the search function at the top.

Do make sure before you dive into something that adult leos need regular care, which means you can't leave them alone for more than 24 hours without asking someone else to feed them, change the water, etc.

Good luck with it!

Enigmatic_Reptiles

Quality is Everything
+1, the forums will have almost ANYTHING you could want to know already addressed. However, like all reptiles some leos like to be held and attention....and some don't. But most will learn to enjoy or at least tolerate handling as long as you do it often. They do require some husbandry but it is all relatively basic. A good enclosure set up is critical for a healthy and happy gecko (search the forums for more details). As far as easier to care for i think its about the same. They are both pretty hardly animals, but both have potential for health issues (keep that in mind). But ya other than the quick points I said, everything else is on here. If you have a specific question then ask.

Mel&Keith

Mod Squad Member
Leos can be very easy to handle. What I would advise is finding an adult Leopard gecko that has an especially good personality. Babies are ALL squirmy and almost none of them care to be handled. Most of them get over it as they grow but you can skip all of that by just buying an adult.

Adults don't need to eat as often as babies so you can feed crickets, mealworms, or superworms every 2-3 days. You would need a 20 gallon long tank with an under tank heater with a rheostat to control the temperature and a couple of probe thermometers. Leos do not require special lighting like Bearded Dragons do. They just require Calcium and Vitamin supplementation which can be dusted on food and left in a bowl in the tank.

To help guarantee that you get the right gecko for you, buy from a reputable breeder. Most breeders have a few adults with amazing personalities that are non-fancy morphs or retired breeders that are not expensive. Most of us actually care that our geckos are a good match to their new owner. Some of these geckos may not be on people's available pages so just send out emails and ask around.

Just look around here for a while and you'll find all kinds of info to help you make your decision!

GeckoTrouble

I would definitely recommend and adult.
My four are all rescues, one of which was a couple of weeks old when I got her.
She is about a year old now, and just starting to come around to handling.

All my three adults are quite comfortable being handled and are great companions

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
Leos can be very easy to handle. What I would advise is finding an adult Leopard gecko that has an especially good personality. Babies are ALL squirmy and almost none of them care to be handled. Most of them get over it as they grow but you can skip all of that by just buying an adult.

Adults don't need to eat as often as babies so you can feed crickets, mealworms, or superworms every 2-3 days. You would need a 20 gallon long tank with an under tank heater with a rheostat to control the temperature and a couple of probe thermometers. Leos do not require special lighting like Bearded Dragons do. They just require Calcium and Vitamin supplementation which can be dusted on food and left in a bowl in the tank.

To help guarantee that you get the right gecko for you, buy from a reputable breeder. Most breeders have a few adults with amazing personalities that are non-fancy morphs or retired breeders that are not expensive. Most of us actually care that our geckos are a good match to their new owner. Some of these geckos may not be on people's available pages so just send out emails and ask around.

Just look around here for a while and you'll find all kinds of info to help you make your decision!

+1. Make sure to do all of your research before you purchase one. All of my adults are really friendly and I love handling them. They each have great personalities. Good luck!

Visit our friends