Mealworms and Refrigerating

Dakota_Ghost

Hi all,

I understand that by refrigerating mealworms stops them temporarily from developing into the pupae stage. I think this is the best thing to do now the weather is getting hot here and I would like my mealies to last longer. However, here's the question...

When mealworms are in the refrigerator are they still active enough to eat and be gutloaded?

or,

Are they in a dormant state where they do not move or eat (similar to when they begin to develop into pupae).

The reason I've asked this question is because I'm a little unsure on how to go about gutloading them whilst they're in the refrigerator. If they don't eat in there, then do I take a few mealworms out and gutload them a couple of days before I feed them to my gecko? Or, will it be ok to leave them and gutload them in the refrigerator until I'm ready to feed them to my gecko.

Thanks,

LizMarie

herpencounter is right.

I used to do it a little differently because I had ordered medium mealworms so it took them a little while to pupae. I had around 1,000 mealworms in the fridge took some out for a colony and I would take them out every saturday morning to feed and at that time I would take out enough for the entire week (I just had one leo so that was easy) and let the gutload the entire week and feed them off..

GeckoTrouble

I buy in bulk.

I keep about a weeks supply out of the fridge and gutloading.

The rest live in the fridge and are dormant. I do take out the fridge ones out every week or so for 24 hours and feed them, then I return them to the fridge.

L

Lene

ahh.... what do you feed them the mealies? I have the same thing i have lil mealies and they come in a bin 500ct is there food on their bedding or i still have to gutload them? and what do I feed them? thanks....

J

jaymotzrt

i dont put them in the fridge becuase it takes out vitamins from the meal worm.

R.I.P Little Fella

N

newbietoreptiles

if it was me id get a mini fridge ya can get em for like 50 bucks new and use the whole fridge for the worms since they are manualo defrost they will be very cheap to run id guesss 1 bucka month but this is a guess just make sure ya get the kind with a comprser not the peltier type ones they suck

Visit our friends