Minor birth defect: eye

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
I hatched out a baby Sunday morning with one slightly protruding eye. The other eye looks normal and the eye seems to be protruding at the bottom. She does have eyelids and seems to be able to close both eyes. She isn't licking her eyes and so far is doing all the things I would expect from a hatchling this age. I know a picture would be helpful and I hope to post one at some point, but can't get to it right now. I did read some posts on another forum about eye defects. My plan at the moment is to proceed as usual. If I feel that she is in pain or can't close her eye I'll have her euthanized. Otherwise I would give her away (as opposed to selling her) to someone who understands that they can't breed her. Does this make sense? I know in many other cases that have been reported on other forums there's a question about temperature fluctuations during incubation. I am using a hovobator, the same one I used last season under the same conditions. I hatched 13 babies last season and 7 other babies so far this season with no defects so I'm assuming that this is just an unlucky hatchling. Any thoughts or ideas would be welcome.

J

Jedi Master Bruce

A small percentage of eye defects is to be expected from my experience no matter what you do. Also from my personal experience, using too much rich vitamin supplement in the breeders will result in a definite increase in eyelid defects. I really do not know about the influence of temperature fluctuations on defects.

robin

you are going to have to wait a while and see some are fine for a while and get problems as they get older but some do fine. if this hatchling ends up being fine and if you decide to sell it make sure it is sold as a pet only or give it to someone for a pet but be specific not to breed. in most cases the ey deformations are caused by other things other than genetics but you never know and it's not worth the chance that it MAY be, to breed the ge4cko or someone else breed it.

Visit our friends