My Gecko Chirped/Squeeked at me

S

ST4CE

Hey,

My gecko is used to bein handled and ive handled him a few times an hes never chirped before but.. I was gettin the left over live food out the viv about 3 days ago and he was asleep under his hide and I went to pick him up but approached him slow with my hand so he knew there was no threat cause I want him to settle in.. Anyway he nudged me away an chirped at me so Ive not tryed pickin him up since :/ and I dont want him to get used to not being handled? but at the same time Im scared to try pick him up again because of him chirping.

Any suggestions?

xxx

E

emmagecko

he's fine he's just sayin "hello Im sleepin here" you can still handle him and if he ever bites (he sound's calm) it wont hurt.

thestack510

Rest In Peace jmlslayer
I love how vocal they are at times. It sounds like he just wasn't in the mood to be held at that moment. Don't let it discourage you from ever handling him again. As you've heard he'll let you know when it's not a good time for him.

gitrdone0420

Gotta catch 'em all!
Lol, yea dont let the squeeling scare you. Its just there way of talking... well and or screaming. lol. They usually grow out of it. My juvies would squeel at me all the time. I still handled them like normal and now they are fine with it.

F

fikken

yeah mine have chirped and squeeled at me before. just means they are having one of those moods. i havent been bit by any of my geckos yet but i am probably due since my male blazing blizzard has attitude issues sometimes.

S

ST4CE

I know but its made me wary of approaching him... I have only had him just over a week and he's been eating fine an everything. Its just handling... hes only nearly 4 months old so he's still smallish yet.

When I leave my hand in he just stays still an if I move it closer to him near his face he backs off as far as he can. He did come to me the first night I got him but since then like ive said on my post he chirped an nudge me away with his face which I knew meant he wasnt very happy so ive not tryed picking him up since then.

Thanks for the comments :) ill keep puttin my hand in an hopefully he'll come to like me an get up onto my hand.

STUTFL

Ah, he's a young'n.
I've been squawked at by my leo when he's in a mood, and he'll mutter under his breath at me while he's walking around on my hands and I won't let him on the ground ... so long as you don't respond by grabbing at him or poking him or anything, I think you'll be just fine. ;) They're not like hamsters that'll just calmly walk up to your hand, look at it, sniff it, and sink their teeth in. :main_rolleyes:

maximusx6910

When it happened for me the first time, i took a double take. Haha. It startled me because i had never heard it before, But it is very interesting to listen to em!

oceanoasis

one of my babies was very wary about being handled. i would just set my hand in the cage a few inches from him and slowly move toward his stomach/tail area and gently pet his side so he knew i wasnt gonna hurt him. he would usually smell me and come closer. he eventually got used to it and that is how i got him to be handleable. he would hiss and snap before. now he is a big baby most of the time.

F

fikken

yeah i get the whole hiss and mouth wide open routine with the tail/back arched. then i know not to proceed haha

little98dime

one thing no one has mentioned yet is that when you get a new leo, you should allow about a month for them to settle in before trying to handle them. the only thing you should really be doing is basic tank maintainance, cleaning, and feeding.

Samantha

he was just startled they make noises to startal preditiors in the wild into letting them go lol its one of the only defences they have

GeckoNub

When we first got Freya she would chirp and squeek when we had to pick her up to clean the tank...and boy was she fast and squirmy. She's a lot better now but still iffy with handling, she tends to run up my arms now :laugh4:

Daisy is a little sweetie and loves being handled but sometimes she has a very quiet little squeek if shes excited by something, its really cute :) And i swear she knows when im talking/writing about her cos shes just come out to say hello :laugh4:

Visit our friends