My leos' enviroment

WUMPUS

Funny how Wumpy chills out, like he's ummm... The D word. Wally's excluded in this picture, she is quarantined from the others due to her eye infection :eek:
But... IF you wanna see her, She's right here!!!
<-------------

99249255.jpg

58235471.jpg

E

emmagecko

awesome " enviroment " how did you make the sand hide:main_huh:

MiamiLeos

Cool enviroment, But id lose the sand, it will do more harm then good.

+1000

If you want something that looks like sand you can make a structure out of non sanded grout. It will look just as cool, but be easier to clean and soooo much safer for your leos :)

WUMPUS

It's not sand... It's Zoo Med's "Excavator" clay based burrowing substrate. Had it a while now but decided to finally show it off :D

Ratman667

+1000

If you want something that looks like sand you can make a structure out of non sanded grout. It will look just as cool, but be easier to clean and soooo much safer for your leos :)

I have to agree with this. You can shape the grout any way you like, then seal it to keep moisture and bacteria out. I was/am thinking of doing this to my 20l.

Put the grout down, add some fake plants, carve hides, seal it up and call it a day.

Either way, you have some pretty geckos. I really like the one in the bottom right in the second picture.

WUMPUS

I have to agree with this. You can shape the grout any way you like, then seal it to keep moisture and bacteria out. I was/am thinking of doing this to my 20l.

Put the grout down, add some fake plants, carve hides, seal it up and call it a day.

Either way, you have some pretty geckos. I really like the one in the bottom right in the second picture.

Why thank you, that is Wumpy. He growls when you pick him up, He's funny! That's Wally's boyfriend... Our smallest boy Gally (I know the names are all screwed up, we name them before we can sex them hehe) the one in the cave, is the boyfriend of our biggest, B.B. (top right) :main_laugh: cute odd couple

Tony C

Wayward Frogger
Looks great, I really doubt that there is any danger of impaction with excavator clay because it is so much finer than sand, and dries into a pretty solid mass.

WUMPUS

Is the clay easy to use and shape?

Yeah but you need more than you think. I just put alot on one side and forced the bottom of a water bottle in the hill of clay I created and pulled the bottle out the next morning to make the hole. Takes quite a while to dry proper, but it's a fun project

WUMPUS

Thanks guys! Just depends on the drying time... Depends how much of the stuff you are using. I work at a pet store so I "special ordered" it for myself ;)

Gregg M

Registered Member
Please quit the impaction thing... It is nonproductive and honestly, arguments against substrate are based on very few actual cases... It gets a bit old seeing people jump and tell people not to use a substrate everytime a picture is posted...

Visit our friends