Need advice for Leopard Gecko please

Bec

Hi everyone, Im bec. I need some advice for anyone who is willing!

I have a leopard gecko. I do not know its age, sex, etc. I do think he might be partially blind because in order to feed him, I need to wiggle a worm in front of his face and sometimes he still doesnt see it. He's also not very active so he has always just been his hide most of the time.

Anyways, recently, he hasnt been eating. Its been almost 2 weeks and will refuse to eat (he only eats mealworms because hes too slow/shows no interest in crickets or roaches). And today he expelled a clear liquid. Im not sure if theyre supposed to do that, im pretty sure all their poop, etc is supposed to be solid.
So im not sure whats wrong or what i should do to fix it.
Any ideas or help id really appreciate. Thank you

Bec

I believe it’s a 20 gallon tank. The warm side during the day I use a lamp (probably cooler than the heating mat) and at night I use a heating pad at 85-90 degrees

Attachments

• 8CD1AACC-2EF0-4BB1-AE7D-1CE811B74B40.jpeg
    8CD1AACC-2EF0-4BB1-AE7D-1CE811B74B40.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
Where do you have the heating pad attached in that photo? Ideally it would be under the tank and the Gecko would have easy access to lay immediately above the pad

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
Place your thermometer where he'd be laying on top of the heat pad inside the enclosure. You're gonna want that thermometer to read 85 degrees F

Reactions: Bec

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It would be great to see a picture of the gecko as well. Some geckos are terrible hunters. I have no idea if it's vision, coordination, or desire to be fed and not to have to work too hard. I have geckos that I've been hand feeding for years. It's not unusual for geckos to go through periods where they don't eat much. Is yours definitely male and is he your only gecko? Some geckos eat less in the winter. Some females eat less around now because they're ovulating. Some males eat less because they're getting interested in the females, though if there are no females I don't know that the male does get interested. As long as the gecko isn't visibly losing weight, it's probably best to keep offering and be patient. They can go quite awhile (weeks to months sometimes) without eating.

Aliza

Reactions: Bec

Bec

I have no clue what gender he is. He was obese when I got him because my uncle only fed him super worms. Since then, I’ve fed him mealworms (about 10) every couple of days and he’s usually very eager to eat. So that’s why I’m so concerned.
it could be like you said and maybe he just is going through a winter phase. I hope so.
I also suspect he’s kind of blind because he’s certainly not a hunter. Won’t look for food at all. I literally have to wiggle his food in front of his face lol.
anyways, here’s a photo of him. He’s definitely lost some weight because he hasn’t been eating but he’s still huge compared to normal gecko weight so I’m not too worried because he has a lot of fat stored.

Attachments

• 2FF3327D-4792-4578-B4BA-22A9A2B1E1C0.png
    2FF3327D-4792-4578-B4BA-22A9A2B1E1C0.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 8

Onelifegecs

You tank and your gecko look pretty good. It could just be that it’s breeding season and your gecko recognizes that. Do you have another Leo by chance. Also it look old enough to be able to tell the gender if you want help figuring that out you could post a picture of the underside of the base of its tail.

Bec

No I only have one. And I would try to figure out the gender but he isn’t really tamed. His previous owner never socialized with him as a baby or anything so he does not like to be touched at all. I only touch him when cleaning his tank and that is quite a chore just to get him out. If you have any tips or that, I’d love them. But for the last year, he pretty much just ignores me

He seems just a bit obese still in the torso, so he might just not be hungry. My leopard gecko changes how much he eats every now and then. One month he'll eat ten mealworms, the next he'll eat five. It just depends. Also I would attempt to handle and relate to him more so you can better understand his behavior and identify changes. Look behind the vent for two bumps and above it for a chevron or pores. If these are present, it is a male. If not, female. Also, he might have just decided he didn't like mealworms any more. Hope this helps!

Visit our friends