OldSlappy

Hi,

I just brought home a crested gecko yesterday and have a few questions.

What should I expect as of behavior for the next 2 weeks?
When I brought it home, they crawled around the enclosure at first but since has hidden itself into a small hideaway.

There has been no evidence of feeding but i have seen poop. I know the tank is large for a juvenile (29 gallon conversion) Is there anything i can do to encourage feeding?
I have offered it Repashy on a ledge closer to the bottom of the tank.

I just want to make sure I acclimate the cresty the best I can before handling it so any advice would be awesome. I have read substantially about crested gecko care but not a whole lot of it covers the first 2-3 weeks.

Best,
OldSlappy

PS. Please let me know if I am posting anything incorrectly as i am new to forums in general.

Attachments

• Crested Gecko.jpg
    Crested Gecko.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 0

acpart

Geck-cessories
Staff member
It's pretty normal for a gecko to explore a new space and then hide a lot, especially if it's a juvenile. I have also found with all my cresties and gargs that there can be months when it seems as if nothing is getting eaten, but the gecko is thriving. Try not to worry if the food doesn't disappear. Especially for the juveniles, sometimes all they need is a few licks and you won't know that they've eaten anything.

Aliza

OldSlappy

It's pretty normal for a gecko to explore a new space and then hide a lot, especially if it's a juvenile. I have also found with all my cresties and gargs that there can be months when it seems as if nothing is getting eaten, but the gecko is thriving. Try not to worry if the food doesn't disappear. Especially for the juveniles, sometimes all they need is a few licks and you won't know that they've eaten anything.

Aliza
Thank you so much for the response! I found a better spot to get the food up off the ground. I also will chill out and relax :). I was getting worked up that he has not visibly eaten yet and has been hiding in the same spot since we got it home. I am sure he's freaked out and getting used to his new environment.

Best,
Michael

OldSlappy

Update! I saw him out and about last night! I need to rework his enclosure based upon some additional research i have done but i am going to wait till he is acclimated and handled a few times before doing so. Right now its impossible to work around and in the cage due to some big hardscapes.

Visit our friends